Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Is this ok?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is this ok?

I registered my cousin as my assistant when I fell pregnant the year before last, she used to help me out on odd days as she wasn't working at the time, I didn't pay her or anything she just done it for experience to try & get back in to work. When I returned from maternity most of my families came back to me but some swapped days etc & because I had a lo of my own my assistant said she would help me out on my busier days. I still wasn't in the position to be able to pay her but she was happy with this & she continued to do it to help me out whilst she was looking for other work. Anyway earlier this year she found another job but it didn't affect the days she was helping me out & round about the same time I got another enquiry that would fit in nicely & put me in the position to pay her 12 hours a week. So I've now registered as an employer etc & I am paying her 12 hours a week at minimum wage but she actually works with me 16-18 hours most weeks is this allowed? Does it matter that she's doing more hours but only actually being paid for 12? She's happy with everything but just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong xx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

as long as you are keeping accurate records of when your assistant is with you, as far as I know it is between you both what you pay her!

my assistant used to work one afternoon a week after school for me and I paid her for 2 hours. she usually stayed for closer to 3 hours, but I gave her children tea. sometimes she used to do an extra afternoon or school run, and never invoiced me for those as she said, she was already doing the school run for her children/would probably have come over for a cup of tea anyway! ( lived next door! )

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you should check into this further if she is working for more hours than you are paying her for, of you break it down (as hmrc are most likely to) you are paying less than minimum wage. Hmrc recently made the list of those paying less than minimum wage public recently I'm sure some of those were where workers were being paid for a set number of hours but working more. All employers were fined and made to pay the underpayment to the employees. Google it.
    Would it be possible to put her down as working 12 hours and volunteering the rest? You need to make sure the contract is water tight and Reflects only the 12 hours she is contracted to work.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies! Her contract is down as 12 hours a week she just does extra hours to help out as & when needed. I'm new to being an employer & finding it really daunting x