Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Payroll Packages??

Off to HMRC website to check out free payroll software recomended by them. Does anyone use anything that they can recomend??

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

talking to myself here - think must be the only one sad enough to be on here on a Saturday night lol!!

Have had a quick look at the free payroll packages that are recognised by HMRC. There are 8 and clicking on there links doesn't always give a lot of information. They also seem to vary widely. some offer a very limited 'free' package and the rest has to be paid for. Some dont do basic things like enable printing off payslips. I also want to be able to work out holiday pay and only 1 specifically said it would enable me to do this.

The one I am going to look into more is Brightpay - it offers the same service no matter which package you have so if you have up to 3 employees its free but you get the same package / service as someone with hundreds of employees (but they have to pay)

Any info on this if you employ an employee as to how you pay them would be great - thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be interested in this to.

Do you sort out your assistants pay and do all their tax and bits? I've been paying my employee cash on the understanding she's self employed but not sure if she has sorted it out. I think I'd like to run it all through. My books?.

Xx

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would keep her self-employed - this is much more beneficial to you if she is willing to pay her own taxes. Otherwise you need to register as an employee, get an employee number and tax office reference, pay wages with a proper wage slip, submit online information and pay tax and NI contributions. Your employee would need to provide proof of eligibilty to work for you, supply a P45 and fill in a starter checklist. It's so much hassle! Its the HMRC side of it that's overcomplicated in my view!

If she is happy to be self-employed I would get that in writing - that the understanding is she is self -employed - its her responsibility to register for SA. I would also ask her to invoice you - so she is claiming the hours you need to pay her and you have an invoice for your own expenses / SA purposes and you can never be accused of not following employment rules.

From what I now understand I could have enrolled with the HMRC online tool but I went for Brightpay - it has been so easy to use and if I press the submit button it submits the information to RTI for me. It has a very professional looking wage slip and I can e-mail this to my employee so I don't need to print it out.

You could phone the helpline for advice and information.