leaving assistants alone
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default leaving assistants alone

Hi i'm just wondering if we are allowed to leave an assistant at home with some of the children if i was taking the rest of the minded children on an outing somewhere else? She is first aid trained and it would be for under two hours. My local groups are quite far away and i cant fit everyone in the car. I would alternate the children who go each week and get parents permission so do you think this would be ok ? thanks

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you would be allowed to do this as assistant has first aid and it is for less than 2 hours and as long as you have parents permission - or you could find out how much it is for your assistant to add business use to her car insurance (if she has a car/drives) and then you could all go out using 2 cars.

sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Do we have to inform ofsted of the reasons we are leaving them ? I'm sure that's what the eyfs said

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't think you had to inform Ofsted about why you are leaving them with assistant so long as they fit all the criteria and the parents have agreed to it I think you have covered everything.

Sam x

5. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You just need to keep accurate records of when your assistant was left alone with the children (I don't mean while you popped to the loo), and why you didn't all go (eg lack of room in car) and make sure you have parents written permission and that you alternative activities so some children don't miss out. I used to see a childminder at a toddler group who only took the well behaved children - the others stayed home with assistants!

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been thinking about registering my mum as my assistant and getting her first aid trained do she can be left alone with the children. I don't want to increase my numbers or anything but thought it would be useful in the holidays on outings.
    I was also thinking that I would be able to go to my children's school assembly occasionally alone and leave her at home with the children or if I had a doctor/ dentist appointment. Would I be allowed to do this?

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlou77 View Post
    I have been thinking about registering my mum as my assistant and getting her first aid trained do she can be left alone with the children. I don't want to increase my numbers or anything but thought it would be useful in the holidays on outings.
    I was also thinking that I would be able to go to my children's school assembly occasionally alone and leave her at home with the children or if I had a doctor/ dentist appointment. Would I be allowed to do this?
    Yes you would .
    Parents need to be made aware that their children may be left with your assistant, in accordance with ofsted guidelines and sign a permissions form to that effect and you need to make sure you have trained her in the safeguarding side of things, organise her crb ensure she is registered as your assistant with ofsted, has done first aid training etc.

Hope this helps

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marie33 View Post
    Do we have to inform ofsted of the reasons we are leaving them ? I'm sure that's what the eyfs said
    No, we don't need to do this. There is no stipulation over the reason as far as I can see .

Maybe at inspection you would be asked, but they'd get pretty fed up with us telling them every time what the reason is.

11. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marie33 View Post
    I use a register for my assistants that has a space for working independently,it says what children /time from-too/and reason eg school run etc

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I include permission to leave the children for short periods of time (under 2 hours) with my Assistant in my general permissions slip that parents sign when they join me. I explain the sort of circumstances these might be and then I don't have to do permission slips for each occasion. I also include permission to travel in the Assistants car which has appropriate insurance.

14. Likes Goatgirl liked this post