Ok...I have an assistant. I used to have 6 under 5's during the day & my assistant worked with me to allow this.Shes fab but isnt able to work any school holidays. I then had 2 back up assistants (registered with ofsted & first aided & safeguarded) to cover those holidays & if my assistant was poorly. My back up assistants though couldnt always do the hours I needed when I needed them because it was only a few hours and more often than not in school holidays. I found it very stressful trying to juggle the staff & hours out every holiday and I have now reduced children (as they have started nursery/school I've not replaced them) & altered their days/hours so that I now only have my assistant for after school hours and emergencies. Although my money has reduced, so has the wages I pay out & the stress I endured every holiday and I'm far happier!!!
My problem wasn't having an assistant, I really enjoyed it...the company, extra advice, a little help, etc, but the problem was that my fantastic assistant brought a holiday home in spain & now goes there every school holidays!!! I could replace her I guess but she really is fab & we work really well together.
So currently I have my assistant, and 2 back up assistants still registered as my assitants with Ofsted (aswell as hubby).

Take the plunge...my assitant is fab...just ensure they can commit to the hours you need and also be aware that they may leave you at some point as its limited hours and that can mean people don't feel as obliged to stick with it if you know what I mean.