Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

any advice from someone who has done the DBS form for an assistant would be great!!!

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just done a new EY2 form and DBS check on my new assistant...
    The EY2 form we did online, there was no part of the form that I had to add to...thought that was odd!
    Assistant then received a letter from Ofsted with details of how to do the DBS check online...
    We scanned documents on and emailed them directly, then did the online part - thought it was fairly easy tbh, well easier than expected!
    And I did check and I could verify her details as I am a member of a professional body (Ofsted) Sarah x

EDIT: when it came to the payment section, I took over and added my card details was £52 lighter for the privilege!!
    Last edited by Bumble Beez; 29-10-2013 at 06:47 AM.
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

3. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh fab - so I can check her documents!? I checked her documents when she came and took copies of them for my own records - would you advice to do the application online together then? Also how long between stage 2 and stage 3 does it take? can you do it at the same time or do you have to wait for the identity checks to be verified at their end so to speak?

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding of it (after speaking to ofsted) was that we can check assistants documents...so I would say yes...

For the DBS online, abolutely do it...its so simple compared to filling a paper one in.
    Stage two is the ID form, which you can scan and email to them if you are able to...you then get an email back within minutes to say now go onto complete stage three as they need both parts to complete the check

So if I were you, get your assistant round...get as much done as possible online and then sit back and wait
    Good luck x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

6. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you - I seem to be losing the will to live over the whole thing which is most unlike me - so relieved to know its not as bad as I seem to be thinking!

8. Likes Bumble Beez liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

TOMORROW IS THE DAY!!!

Tomorrow is the day my assistant starts - I am so nervous! I just feel so responsible to her and responsible to the children I have taken on. I so hope I am not making a mistake. I just feel nervous I guess.

I had my DO visit this week and she gave me a whole list of stuff that I should have - policies such as equal opportunities, recruitment policy, a redundancy reserve, allocate key children, H&S poster, and so it went on! I have had a bereavement this week and a parent messing me around a bit so I feel quite off about the whole thing. I've got 'attitude' and have a bit of an strop on!
    The chat with my DO was completely overwhelming. I haven't registered with HMRC or sorted the online pay system which I think I really should have done.
    I've had 2 brilliant references for her and seen her CRB and certificates but still waiting on the DBS. As she won't be left alone and OFsted have received the EY2 this is ok from previous conversations I have had with them.

I have also realised that for most of the time she is here I will not be making any money -mostly its to do with the ages of the children rather than the numbers of children and I don't feel comfortable taking on more children just yet to bump up the numbers so will just have to see how it goes.

Anyway - wish me luck - I'm nervous!!

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

CHECKING DOCUMENTS

Bit of a conflict of information here - I phoned Ofsted to confirm that I could check documents and they said this was now nothing to do with them as it goes through Capita so I should phone them. I phoned them and they said I SHOULDN'T check documents for my own assistant as it is a conflict if interest as she would be working for me. I can check documents for someone else though. The amount of time I knew a person doesn't matter.

If you need to check a persons identity I would check for yourself but to be on the safe side maybe get another person to do the document checks.

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck all will be well let us know how it goes!

12. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Yay - it was great - she's great! I'm so pleased I picked her out of all of them - we seem to get on really well - no awkwardness at all. I really hope this works out!

The first few weeks she is just here for 3 hours so it went quite quick. She seems so pleased to be here so I'm thrilled! Now I've just got to pull my finger out and sort all the relevant paperwork!

14. Likes hectors house, bindy, Bumble Beez liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

PAYE and REGISTERING AS AN EMPLOYEE AND PENSIONS

Hmm this seemed complicated. I tried doing it got lost and confused on their system! I tried again today and I seem to have managed it but it seemed a long way around to do it! I used to work in accounts and regularly submitted to HMRC so not sure why I struggled with this - rusty - or brain cells a bit past it!

I have to register through government gateway - 'great' I think - I am already registered! BUT I am registered as an individual not an organisation - if I am employing someone I am not an individual anymore. so it asked me to log out and then 'create an account' I did this and then ticked the registering for self assessment and registering for PAYE. I feel like this is duplicating something but it then asked what my SA tax reference number was so it enabled me to link to whatever was set up before. I also now cannot access my original account so I have no idea how this works but it seems to.

Now I have registered I will receive an PAYE reference and an accounts office reference. This may take a week so I should have done this before as you are supposed to start reporting to HMRC on the first pay day. However, my understanding is that as my assistant will be under the tax threshold and only under my employment I do not have to report BUT as I'm planning to take on another assistant who does work elsewhere I will have to report for both of them.

I have also looked into whether I am obliged to pay pensions and this is what it says :

You must enrol into the scheme all workers who:

are aged between 22 and the State Pension age
    earn at least £9,440 a year
    work in the UK

You must make an employer’s contribution to the pension scheme for those workers.

She will be earning less than this so not relevant to me at the moment.

I'm off to check out free payroll software packages - HMRC has a list that are compatible with the requirements to submit online.

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've just taken on an apprentice. I phoned the PAYE helpline and they said if she was earing under the tax threshold that I didn't need to register with them.I just need to keep accurate records of how much I am paying her each week. If she gets another job that pushes her over the tax threshold then I will need to register.So if I was you I would give them a ring to double check this.I just keep an invoice book that has a carbon copy sheet.I write each days hours then total for the month ,keep a copy for my records and give one to my apprentice as a payslip.My other 2 assistants are both working here as self employed.They have registered as self employed with HMRC,it was very straight forward.I keep a record of the hours that I have used them and then they give me a bill at the end of the week/month.This way they are responsible for their own tax/NI/pension.

17. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dette, yes they told me currently I wouldn't need to register (and I have included the criteria above.) However, they did say if I took on another person - say someone who had another job somewhere else (which I'm thinking of doing as a 'cover' assistant.) Then I would need to register both employees. I would like it to be all up to date and correct if this happened so that my records correlate straight away with theirs.
    I also want to use a system that allows me to work out holiday rights and sick pay so I don't get anything wrong.
    I asked my assistant if she wanted to be self-employed or employed and she said employed.
    It is a general rule that normally if you work for one employer only you should be classed as employed.
    I used to work in payroll / accounts and used SAGE so it was simple in that it told you what to do but even in some circumstances it got so complicated with the HMRC rules! I decided I'd much rather have it laid out properly!

I have signed up to the gateway as an organisation, registered for HMRC online services PAYE, have an employer number and everything!

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    Thanks Dette, yes they told me currently I wouldn't need to register (and I have included the criteria above.) However, they did say if I took on another person - say someone who had another job somewhere else (which I'm thinking of doing as a 'cover' assistant.) Then I would need to register both employees. I would like it to be all up to date and correct if this happened so that my records correlate straight away with theirs.
    I also want to use a system that allows me to work out holiday rights and sick pay so I don't get anything wrong.
    I asked my assistant if she wanted to be self-employed or employed and she said employed.
    It is a general rule that normally if you work for one employer only you should be classed as employed.
    I used to work in payroll / accounts and used SAGE so it was simple in that it told you what to do but even in some circumstances it got so complicated with the HMRC rules! I decided I'd much rather have it laid out properly!

I have signed up to the gateway as an organisation, registered for HMRC online services PAYE, have an employer number and everything!
    I'm planning on setting it up so its ready when needed.but a bit bogged down with other paperwork so i'm putting it off for now

20. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dette View Post
    I'm planning on setting it up so its ready when needed.but a bit bogged down with other paperwork so i'm putting it off for now
    its definitely a pita - not complicated just long-winded!!

Aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bumble Beez

Thanks for all the information on this thread! Very useful.

"The EY2 form we did online..."

Can anybody tell me where on the OFSTED website the EY2 form is? I can only find the downloadable one.

Thank you in advance of your help.

Kind regards

Sarah

Aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bumble Beez

Thank you and others for all that information, hope it is working out ok.

You wrote that you did the EY2 form online, could you tell me where it is on the OFSTED website, I can't find it only the downloadable one.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Sarah

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OTMama View Post
    Hi Bumble Beez Thank you and others for all that information, hope it is working out ok. You wrote that you did the EY2 form online, could you tell me where it is on the OFSTED website, I can't find it only the downloadable one. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards Sarah
    You need to have a government gateway account to access the ofsted online site.
    You can do the EY2 form from there x

https://online.ofsted.gov.uk/OnlineOfsted/default.aspx

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

ok so all is going well - really pleased with assistant - she is willing and enthusiastic and keen to do training and flexible.

The twins I have taken on are hard work so I am in no doubt that I needed her! They are 5 months and can cry inconsolably - no wonder the mum was keen to have a break before going back to work. Its one more than the other tbh and when not crying both are lovely, smiley and complete time-wasters!!

BUT mum had back to work interview and it looks like she will be made redundant!! Means I will need to get more children quick to fill gap to justify assistant.

I still haven't got a 'cover' assistant. If the assistant stays on the day she's on now then I can use my hubby as its his day off and he is registered too.

Just feel like the whole thing has been pressured and stressful and now its not just myself and parents I 've got to worry about but I feel responsible for my assistant too! If I could go back now and change my mind I would. BUT hopefully if I stick with it then ask me again in 6 months / a year and I may say its worth it! (fingers crossed anyway)

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh bluebell...great news about how fab your assistant is
    My assistant is awesome too! But I've had a similar thing, my main earner has given notice and left last week...
    I've had two families interview me but not heard anything hoping to pick something up before January otherwise I'll be dropping her down to just one day instead of two x

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just feeling really pressured - money isn't great - I assumed I'd be able to take on other children to cover the cost of the assistant as well as the twins but I just can't because they are so demanding.
    I also feel like I'm pretty crap at minding at the moment so am not sharing good practice with my assistant which is making me feel down. Its all about damage control - feed, change, soothe, walk, sleep, see to others, nappy changes, snacks, meals etc - not the normal activities and stuff I would be doing!
    There is demand out there for care but how quickly I could get it in place I'm not sure! (especially with Christmas coming)
    Mum will probably know more next week and I'm pretty confident she won't mess me about - and that if she can keep me on for the morning she does now she will!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast