Assistants- classed as self employed or employed???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Assistants- classed as self employed or employed???

Hi all,

I'm thinking of taking on an assistant but don't know whether they are classed as employed or self employed?? I would rather self employed and just pay them an hourly rate for their work but It said somewhere that is you pay them over £110 per week you HAVE to employ them??!

Also I have read that if you have an assistant you need to get planning permission? Is this true?

Thanks

Lauren

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not sure about the money side of things but you may need planning permission if you increase the number of children that you care for in total. It will depend on your LA and their planning rules. If you stay with 6 children under 8, but all of those children could be under 8 then you will probably not need planning but again it will depend on the planning rules of your particular LA. You will need to ring them for clarification.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok great, thanks for your help

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You can pay them as much as you want and they can still be self employed also you can have 6 under 5.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bindy View Post
    You can pay them as much as you want and they can still be self employed also you can have 6 under 5.
    that's what I meant

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

So of I took on an assistant I could have 6 under 5 and then how many over 5?? If I worked with another fully Ofsted registered childminder could we have our normal ratios each? 6 under 8 each?

I have thought about an apprentice, has anyone had any experience with them?

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lwesthorp View Post
    Thank you

So of I took on an assistant I could have 6 under 5 and then how many over 5?? If I worked with another fully Ofsted registered childminder could we have our normal ratios each? 6 under 8 each?

I have thought about an apprentice, has anyone had any experience with them?
    You would have to check with the planning department of your local authority. The reason people say they have 6 under 5 is to avoid change of use on the house which many LAs say you need if you are caring for more than 6 children (some LAs say mindees under 8s, some say mindees and your own children, mine says 6 mindees of any age, others have no rules about childminding). If 2 childminders are working from the same premises there will still be the possibility that you will need planning permission as it would be the number of minded children at an address that is planning concern. You need to ring the planning department to see if you are allowed it is the only way you will find out what is feasible in your area.

Theoretically if you have the space then you and an assistant could have 6 under & 6 over 5 if OFSTED don't object in any way, BUT this is subject to your local planning departments agreement
    Last edited by tulip0803; 26-08-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for your help I will call them tomorrow