Assistant for one hour a week? Not sure what to do.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Assistant for one hour a week? Not sure what to do.

Friday mornings I will have my 3 under 5 then 4 (possibly 5) children (over 5) before school.
    My problem being I don't drive and that I walk for the school run so I'd like a little help for this as with the double buggy, one toddler on reins and another 4 or 5 older children to keep an eye on next to a main road I think is quite a bit lol! The rest of the week works out fine as I don't have them all every morning, it is just Friday mornings they are all here at the same time.
    Do you think anyone would want to do one hour a week? I can't really afford to offer anyone more hours and like I say don't really need anyone other than for this school-run. Ideally I could do with finding someone who would do it voluntarily (then I could offer more hours if they wanted) but not sure if anyone would want to or how I would go about finding someone?

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you be able to do the school run with another childminder who has less children? Perhaps she could come round to yours at the point when you go over your numbers and walk with you?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible to have one of your younger children meet you at school.

Would you still have 6 under 8 or are you going over that too? Maybe a helper at school would be willing to help?

Otherwise you may have to give notice..
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Remember you can only have 6 children maximum ... ever ... no exceptions ... unless you have an assistant with DBS check and cleared by Ofsted. You need to fill in EY2 form and it can take up to 3 months to sort out.

If you have more than 6 you will probably also need planning permission. Contact your local planning dept for more information

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    Is it possible to have one of your younger children meet you at school.

Would you still have 6 under 8 or are you going over that too? Maybe a helper at school would be willing to help?

Otherwise you may have to give notice..
    Yes I would still only have 6 under 8 as two of the children are over 8.
    Sarah does that include the over 8s? I thought the 6 was for the younger ones?
    There is only me and one other childminder in the village who is at full capacity and lives the other end of the village so she wouldn't be able to help. The younger ones get dropped at 7.30am so wouldn't be able to meet me there.
    I guess I will try and find someone but if not will just have to see how it goes.
    Perhaps I could purchase a triple buggy (anyone know where I can find these) so that I have all little ones strapped in and secure then I just need eyes for the bigger ones

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Tuesday is my busiest day, I have double buggy (12m and 20m) a 3yr old walking, holding on always on the inside of the pavement. Then I have a 4yr old walking next to the buggy or next to the 3yr old depending on space. Then I have 6yr,8yr,9yr,9yr,10yr walking in front. BUT its not a main road and although cars do come past and we have to cross a couple of roads its not really busy. I just have a very strict walking regime. I don't allow running, playing games, messing around.

In fact the only two things I do allow is moving legs and breathing Moving arms can be allowed if they've asked permission beforehand.

Im not sure how I'd feel if it was a very busy road, depends how wide the pavement is and if I knew the children well.

Hope you sort it. I wouldnt really buy a triple for the school run as they are very expensive but if that's the only solution its a good idea.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My older ones know the rules. I think you need to sit down and talk with them - if they are over 8 they should understand, maybe give them some responsbility of talking a younger ones hand?

Above all have rules and consequences and make sure you follow through with the consequences, reins etc... make it manageable
    Debbie

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe a double with a buggy board? this is what ive used today x

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be tempted to maybe try and get someone - it may only be an hour but there are plenty of people that pick up just an hour here or there (say with cleaning jobs) that may suit them - is there someone who works at a pre-school on site that may want to walk with you on their way to work - they will be suitably qualified and DRB checked. A bit of money won't hurt for just that one hour because you have enough children to cover it. If you needed extra help in the school holidays that person then may be available to help for that too or after school.