Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Assistant

Registered Childminder since
    01/2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Assistant

Does an assistant have to be employed to count in an increase in numbers?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No - they need to have EY2, first aid, ongoing supervision and training opportunities and permission from Ofsted

Post Thanks / Like

Do assistants double your numbers?

01/2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not sure. I wouldnt want to, my assistant would be my hubby and it is maybe to take on 1 more where there is a little overlap and to help on school runs, I believe if you double your numbers or have more than 6 EY children you may have to ask for planning permission (each area is different) and make sure you look at the amount of space per child you have x

01/2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah707 x

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ktdg85 View Post
    Do assistants double your numbers?
    I believe you are able to have 6 under the age of 5 not normal 3.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bindy

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Registered Assistant

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    No - they need to have EY2, first aid, ongoing supervision and training opportunities and permission from Ofsted
    Hi Sarah
    When you say permission off ofsted do you mean suitability status from ofsted or something else? Do you have to ask them if you want to increase your numbers once they have confirmed that the person is suitable or is it just up to you to risk assess? Have been looking on ofsted site and it is not very clear. Very confused.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am confused too, I did not get permission from Ofsted as such, but they do know I have an assistant because of the EY2 form that got sent to them. What reason would they say no? Does one have to actually call for their permission? Ofsted did ask my assistant if she had started to work, she said no she wanted to wait for all forms etc to be in place. Ofsted did tell her, no need to wait, just as long has she had a First Aid certificate otherwise would not be allowed to have the kids alone!

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I phoned them and they said yes the suitability letter was all we needed for him to start.

I thought that it was automatic that you could increase your numbers but now after reading alot of stuff on ofsted site. I know we have the space .

I am confused as it looks like you might have to apply to them to increase your numbers? Also that you might need to ask their permission if the children will be left for a short time with assistant. I have had my husband registered for school runs and for cover for one day where I will be over my numbers in september. Now I am not sure if this is ok.

Stressing now as going on holiday and when I come back he is due to start.

Anyone know where I stand?

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newkid View Post
    I phoned them and they said yes the suitability letter was all we needed for him to start.

I thought that it was automatic that you could increase your numbers but now after reading alot of stuff on ofsted site. I know we have the space .

I am confused as it looks like you might have to apply to them to increase your numbers? Also that you might need to ask their permission if the children will be left for a short time with assistant. I have had my husband registered for school runs and for cover for one day where I will be over my numbers in september. Now I am not sure if this is ok.

Stressing now as going on holiday and when I come back he is due to start.

Anyone know where I stand?
    Why don't you give them a call tomorrow and ask them the questions.. I have had and assistant for the past 3 months, I did nothing above apart the EY2 form. Ofsted even sent back my assistants references, said they were not needed. Just has long your assistant has a First Aid certificate you can leave alone and with parents permission. Like I say give them a call just to reassure yourself!!

Jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the suitability letter now and checked with Ofsted, no need to confirm increase in numbers or that they are now working with you, I was told we didn't need to do anything - just work with the guidelines of the EYFS.

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady756 View Post
    I have the suitability letter now and checked with Ofsted, no need to confirm increase in numbers or that they are now working with you, I was told we didn't need to do anything - just work with the guidelines of the EYFS.
    I have found the bit in the statutory framework eyfs where it says that the same ratios apply to the assistant or childminder who works with you.(3.41)

Thanks both x