can an assistant have a variation too?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 96
    Post Thanks / Like

Default can an assistant have a variation too?

searched ofsted and can't find anything to say otherwise. Don't need to go into detail but yes all sibling, continuity of care, RA's, required space in place. Can one day a week I and assistant have 8 under 5? previously had an ofsted approved variation for 7 under 5. No other children here over 5 either. It stands to reason that if one person can have 4 kids then 2 people can have 8 surely? Cant find anything to say not but equally nowhere to say yes .....any ideas anyone?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Please have a read of these threads, hopefully they will help you

Changing ratios - variations - a reminder

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...ml#post1259508

Sept 96
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Rick_Knight;1263704]Hi,

Please have a read of these threads, hopefully they will help you

Hi I have read these and every other thread i cn find but cannot find confirnation that I and an assistant can each have a variation.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The problem we have since Ofsted changed the rules on variations its very hard for us to say yes or no you cant.

I would say ring Ofsted at least they should be able to tell you if your assistant is allowed to have a variation in her own right.

Would Ofsted have allowed this variation before all the changes if yes then you can use that as a starting point same with no.

The question about the assistant is a good one. Is it the cm who should have the variation as they are the registered person?

Have you got an early years department in your area who could perhaps help with the question.

None of us want to give a answer which could ultimately led you to be marked down at an inspection.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes judipoo liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    The problem we have since Ofsted changed the rules on variations its very hard for us to say yes or no you cant.

I would say ring Ofsted at least they should be able to tell you if your assistant is allowed to have a variation in her own right.

Would Ofsted have allowed this variation before all the changes if yes then you can use that as a starting point same with no.

The question about the assistant is a good one. Is it the cm who should have the variation as they are the registered person?

Have you got an early years department in your area who could perhaps help with the question.

None of us want to give a answer which could ultimately led you to be marked down at an inspection.
    I agree. And I think it's very risky to think something is permissible just because Ofsted don't specifically say that it's not allowed.

EYFS Statutory framework only mentions 'exceptions' in relation to CMs and the total number of under-8's (which I've always taken to mean the total number of U-8's at the setting.).

3.40 If a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and inspectors, that the individual needs of all the children are being met, then exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies, or when caring for their own baby. If children aged four and five only attend the childminding setting before and/or after a normal school day, and/or during school holidays, they may be cared for at the same time as three other young children. But in all circumstances, the total number of children under the age of eight being cared for must not exceed six.
    From a practical point of view, see what is allowed under your insurance, space limitations and likely need for LA planning permission. Any or all of these may make the question irrelevant.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you have more than 6 children under the age of 8 on your premises you need to check about planning permission.

You as a childminder can organise your own variations if you follow the rules.

An assistant is not a childminder - and any children you have extra to your normal ratios are your responsibility because you are the one registered with Ofsted and insured.

I always suggest in cases like this that you ask Ofsted in writing

Sept 96
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    If you have more than 6 children under the age of 8 on your premises you need to check about planning permission.

You as a childminder can organise your own variations if you follow the rules.

An assistant is not a childminder - and any children you have extra to your normal ratios are your responsibility because you are the one registered with Ofsted and insured.

I always suggest in cases like this that you ask Ofsted in writing
    All regs re planning etc are in place and my last registration certificate registered me for 12 children under 8 with an assistant .

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am confused regarding planning. My certificate also had 12 children, 9 under 5 and 3 over 5. This was with 2 childminders and 1 assistant, 3 in total working together. No one told me about any planning permission!! Too late now, I now only have 6 under 5,with an assistant.

Sept 96
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bindy View Post
    I am confused regarding planning. My certificate also had 12 children, 9 under 5 and 3 over 5. This was with 2 childminders and 1 assistant, 3 in total working together. No one told me about any planning permission!! Too late now, I now only have 6 under 5,with an assistant.
    Do we have to ask permission from Ofsted to have more than 1 assistant at a time working with me if they are both already approved as my assistants ?

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You are allowed 3 people working together. It could be 1 childminder and 2 assistants or 2 childminders and 1 assistant. Just has long both assistants have been checked you are fine. Saying that, the old certificate actually would have said how many worked together. It did not matter if not all the time. The new ones say nothing, but I am sure its still OK!

Sept 96
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bindy View Post
    You are allowed 3 people working together. It could be 1 childminder and 2 assistants or 2 childminders and 1 assistant. Just has long both assistants have been checked you are fine. Saying that, the old certificate actually would have said how many worked together. It did not matter if not all the time. The new ones say nothing, but I am sure its still OK!
    Its all so vague now! I m trying my best to do things correctly but its so difficult to know .