Do assistants have a certificate or letter confirming they are an assistant?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do assistants have a certificate or letter confirming they are an assistant?

When I went to register OH as my assistant last Oct after he did his 1st aid, after many emails from different people at Ofsted and different advice from each one, they confirmed he was already registered as such. This came as a bit of a surprise as at pre-reg Mrs O said she couldn't register him there and then as he didn't have 1st aid and that it was easy for me to do later. They must have gone ahead with his registration any way, during my application.
    Anyway, in Oct I asked if there was a letter, or anything else to come from Ofsted to confirm this. I got nothing, apart from confirmation in emails. I'm now a bit worried after an email conversation with my early years advisor and her mentioning his certificate. Should he have one?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you OH is registering as a childminder in his own right he would need to go through the full reg process which now includes first aid, eyfs and safeguarding training BEFORE you can apply

If OH is just being an assistant, all the above isn't required unless he is being left with children alone. Once the EY2 is completed, along with the cRB you should get a letter of suitability from Ofsted and then he can be your assistant. Not until...

Hope that helps
    Debbie

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

When I contacted Ofsted back in October, they said he was already registered as my assistant on their system. They confirmed by email he was registered and could be with children unsupervised with parental permission up to 2hrs per day. The EY2 and CRB were done during my application process. They have just never sent anything out on paper, which is now starting to worry me after the comment in my EY advisor's email.
    Mrs O didn't query it at my inspection. I told her he was my assistant and had a copy of the email conversation with Ofsted in my file for her to see.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I registered my daughter as assistant in January - She did get a letter just saying "you are suitable to work with children" @ childminders address. If Ofsted accept your e-mail then your early years advisor should too.

5. Likes Samcat liked this post
    pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I registered my daughter as assistant in January - She did get a letter just saying "you are suitable to work with children" @ childminders address. If Ofsted accept your e-mail then your early years advisor should too.
    Thank you. That's one less thing to panic about!
    Also, I took it from the initial conversation I had with Ofsted on this (before all the emails) and their referral to 3.41 that we can both look after the same number of children (ie 6) as I'm registered for, depending on space, risk assessments etc? Not that I want 12 children, but with enquiries it looks like from the Autumn I could have 4-5 under 5s some days and 5-6 on a Friday afternoon (one is a shift pattern so is usually 12-20hrs over 3-4 sessions a week, usually half days, but I've counted them in for the whole week for ratio purposes). Is this correct? This is something else I'm beginning to worry about too.