Husband as assistant - what to tell parents?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Husband as assistant - what to tell parents?

My husband works from home so it made sense to register him as my assistant from the off although bar coming on the odd day out in the holidays mainly for our DC's benefit, I've never really used him & he's never had sole charge. All parents were told when we first met he's registered as my assistant but beyond that there's been nothing formal.
    However, from September 1 day a week unless I give notice to someone, I will be over numbers. As DH's business has been slow he's agreed to being my assistant on that day as the extra income from taking on this 1 new family could make quite a difference.

Together with my DC, they'll be 6 mindees that day (3 families each with an under 2 + schoolie ) 2 of which are new families starting in September. The last to come on board knows DH will be working alongside me but the other one doesn't & my current family doesn't either (also need to explain in a positive way that their youngest will be having some playmates as I've always had her 1:1!) although the children know & love my DH actually having him as a carer may be different in their eyes

I will need him to be able to have sole care for short periods (school run etc) so will presumably need written permission from all families so just wondering what this needs to include, plus, generally any feedback on how existing parents took the news that you were expanding your numbers and taking on your husband as an assistant. I'm really excited to have DH working with me 1 day a week but quite nervous about how the parents will take it.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think it's anything to worry about, just explain the facts. Also I don't see why you need written permission or feedback forms from parents. It sounds like you think you're doing something wrong! It's your business and you are within the rules. Are you worried because parents will be concerned about having a man in charge if their children? Concerned that the child who was having 1:1 time will now have others there? Well that parent only pays for one space, not three so it is tough luck! And it will hopefully be of benefit to mindee.
    Presumably most parents know about DH being your assistant and know the children get on with him. If they didn't know on their first visit that you had a male assistant then it sounds like you wanted to cover up the fact! I doubt there will be any problems. If there are then they know where the door is!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If he's crb'd as your assistant, parents are informed he's your assistant, and the children all know him, then I don't see what the problem is? Or am I missing something?

You're not going over your numbers as hubby is already your assistant....

Whenever I have new children starting, I just put it in my newsletter that we are welcoming x this week, we all hope x enjoys their time here and has lots of fun

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    If he's crb'd as your assistant, parents are informed he's your assistant, and the children all know him, then I don't see what the problem is? Or am I missing something?

You're not going over your numbers as hubby is already your assistant....

Whenever I have new children starting, I just put it in my newsletter that we are welcoming x this week, we all hope x enjoys their time here and has lots of fun
    Posted at the same time and say the same things....that's what I like to see!

5. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To be left alone with the children wont your dh need to be first aided?
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In terms of parents' reactions, I usually find it's the dads who are more likely to dislike the idea of a male childcare worker. I think it's partly fear/jealously that their little darling might get attached to a man (who has more time for them than dad ever does ) or just pure sexism - after all, it's only "women's work", isn't it? There's no knowing which men will react this way. I've had quite liberal-minded bourgeois dads make objections, whilst the rather old-fashioned former iron-workers and miners in my local think it's great that I'm a male CM.

Some parents may react badly to an increase in your numbers. They all want as much 1to1 care as possible, and all seem to want to be the last ones through the door before you pull up the shutters and don't let anyone else in. All you can do is explain that you're working within what's allowed by the regulatory framework; that there's really nothing to stop any other CM doing this; that nurseries can have ratios of up to 13:1 in certain circumstances. If they're really unhappy with it, you either have to stand firm (even if it means they give notice and go to look for a nanny) or let the clients dictate how you run your business. Or, as someone has implied, offer to let them pay for you to keep lots of vacant places to guarantee maximum 1to1 for their lo. Your call.

As Fussy has said, an assistant who has sole care of a child (and that really does mean "even for a moment") must have a current LA-sanctioned paediatric first aid qualification, and the informed consent of each parent. I know of a CM who was pulled up for leaving a mindee with her non-first aid trained assistant at a play centre whilst she went to the toilet.

To increase your numbers, you must have completed an audit of resources and checked that you still fulfil the space requirements. It is also essential that you've checked with your LA about the need for planning permission: a lot of CMs have ignored this in the past, and some are now regretting it, including 2 in a town local to me who have been served notice to cease trading immediately.

What concerns me is that IIUC some of your clients appear to be unaware that you are working with an assistant from time to time. This would represent a breach of EYFS Statutory Framework 3.72, as you are required to give parents information on your staffing arrangements. It also tends to imply that your complaints policy is inadequate, as it should include provision for how you would handle a complaint made against an assistant. Put this right asap and hope to god that none of them raise a complaint.

The following sections of EYFS are most relevant to your situation: 3.23, 3.24, 3.41, 3.56, 3.72.

Hope this helps.

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant thank you. All my current parents know dh is my assistant & that he's around regularly so I don't think there's an issue there & he's doing his 1st aid course this week so will have that in place before he's left in sole charge (not before September anyway & even then not a regular planned occurance). I will revisit my complaints procedure & check I'm ok for numbers, space & planning so thank you for that.
    I agree that my biggest hurdle is likely to be parents objecting to me increasing my numbers but I've certainly never promised 1:1 care & actually think it will benefit some of the younger ones having others around.