Taking on an assistant
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking on an assistant

Does anyone have an assistant under 18? I'm looking at taking on a 17 year old apprentice.

I read somewhere (the old document with guidance from Ofsted I think or maybe it's the eyfs/childcare register requirements) that no-one under 18 is allowed to have sole-care and must be supervised at all times, is this definitely the case? My assistant would have to be in my sight/hearing at all times despite being CRB checked?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

EYFS requirement 3.28 - Only those aged 17 or over may be included in ratios (and staff under 17 should be supervised at all times). Students on long term placements and volunteers (aged 17 or over) may be included if the provider is satisfied that they are competent and responsible.

More information about assistants here -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...nt-advice.html

ey2 form here -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...ssistants.html

Hth

Jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah, that's all I could find when I looked again. I phoned Ofsted for clarification. The childcare/voluntary register is the one that says under 18's must be supervised at all times. So my 17 year old assistant can have sole care of EYFS age group but not older children. She could be left at home with sleeping babies/toddlers while I do the school run - but not vice versa. It seems completely bizzare to me, you would think it would be the other way around!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady756 View Post
    Thanks Sarah, that's all I could find when I looked again. I phoned Ofsted for clarification. The childcare/voluntary register is the one that says under 18's must be supervised at all times. So my 17 year old assistant can have sole care of EYFS age group but not older children. She could be left at home with sleeping babies/toddlers while I do the school run - but not vice versa. It seems completely bizzare to me, you would think it would be the other way around!
    I totally agree and it's ridiculous that this hasn't been changed especially as the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, which has been signed by this country, says 17 is still a child

Left and right hands at work again with no communication between them