Employing a childminder to run my business..
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Employing a childminder to run my business..

Hi,

I have recently decided that I would like to start a creche. I have been a nanny for several years and would now like to work for myself.

I have a property in London that I am thinking of making totally child friendly, large lounge as a playroom, bedroom with beds for the children, dining room, kitchen, bathroom, garden etc would all be furnished with children's furniture. I am not ofsted registered or have any qualifications, just my experience in nannying and also previous experience in running a small business.

My aim is to employ someone to manage my creche, someone who has the level 3 qualifications and is already ofsted registered. Would I need to be registered myself if this person was already? There would be no more than 6 children and I would be the assistant even though it would be my home.

I know I would have to have the property inspected.

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Any reason you would not want to be the childminder yourself and employ an assistant instead? It's your home and it sounds as if you will be using a lot of it. The Manager / Childminder would have to be in charge and tell you how things need to be done. I feel it would be a conflict of interests and doomed from the start. Sorry to be so negative.

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't see how this work? Your property yet u would only assistant so the cm would actually have to pay u as a assistant!
    Would it be worth registering and gaining qualifications yourself?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you actually live in the house. If not I don't think you can childmind it would be registered as a nursery and probably slot more things to do
    Mandy xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adedwards68 View Post
    Do you actually live in the house. If not I don't think you can childmind it would be registered as a nursery and probably slot more things to do
    Sorry I've just re read your thread and you say it would be your home.
    Mandy xx

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused too- is this your home that you live in? In terms of expenses I don't see how this would work at all- usually you would get paid and then pay your bills and any other expenses for the business and the salary of your assistant - she couldn't do this as the bills are yours and so how would her income work? If you don't live in the house have you looked at planning permission for change of use for the property? This would be the first step. Then you would need to look at things like insurances etc. I used to work in a day nursery where the owners of the property and business employed a manager- I guess this is what you want to do? I would look into the legal side of things and take it from there.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to be a nanny in London I think by the time you find someone and get everything sorted you may as well register to be a childminder yourself.

Is there any reason you want to do it this way? I would have thought it would be so much easier to do it yourself rather than get someone to employ you so to speak.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replys, I have been in touch with Ofsted and apparently I can employ someone who is already registered and they just have to let Ofsted know they will be working from another property. I don't want to work full time, this is why I want to employ someone, from my calculations I think I should be able to bring in enough income to pay someone a good salary plus have a decent amount left for myself after paying costs. Nurseries in my area charge up to £60 and that is only for half a day, I could charge that for a full day. The property is residential, although I spend most of the time at my partners, it would still be classed as a home, I might even offer the person a live in job. Maybe I am being unrealistic, but I do think it could work?

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

But surely you still need to be registered to employ her?

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think she means this person is a self employed cm but only gets a set salary. I don't really see the advantages for the cm surely she would just make more money being a cm herself and not have to pay you anything for the privilege of you being her boss. It sounds like you don't actually want to be a cm you just want to make money, and if that is the case I am sure there are easier things to do than this.

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It could work, you would need to offer a good wage though, it would suit someone who would like to childmind but not in their own home. It would cost you, you would have to cover her/his wages no matter if your numbers are down, all bills etc. Good Luck, let us know how it all works out!

Post Thanks / Like

As Bindy says, it would suit someone who wants to be a childminder, but does not have the space to do it, but unlike nannying as I have done, you are able to be a little more flexible as it is in 'your' home. You don't get roped in to doing other chores as a lot of nannies do. I would be able to offer a good salary and even the possibility of live in, which would all in be worth at least £35,000 to whoever I employ. I don't think that sounds bad at all. Of course I need the clients first and it will probably take a while I'm sure, I'm in no rush though, need to do more research..