What do you all do with regards to displaying toys?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you all do with regards to displaying toys?

I had a visit from a CO this week and she said that although she really likes how I display all the toys within easy reach of the children she thought that my setting would be better if I was to not have any toys out and instead had a big purpose built storage unit for all of the toys so they can select what they want.
    Currently the way I do it is I have two playrooms, one has a ledge all of the way round that I use like having shelves and display toys on, in baskets or just for easy reach. I also have toys freestanding or in buckets for the children to rummage. it has always worked well for me because a lot of the children I have are under 3 and would struggle to reach up to the cabinet to select toys. I would have to constantly be getting things out for them I think.
    I was wondering what other childminders find works for them?

x

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a mix of both. I use the window sills in the conservatory and have buckets and baskets in the conservatory and living room, I also have a unit with plastic boxes and a large sideboard with drawers and then toys on top of both of these.
    I think its got to be whatever works for you as we all have such different layouts and children.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

IKEA storage is fantastic for this.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My house is my family home and I will have toys out or where there is room.....that is my mantra....do what works for you we are not nursery schools...

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    West Sussex
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a playroom with a large ikea expedit unit with toys in, the boxes are labelled with photo/text of what is inside. I also have larger toys just on the floor around the edge of the room and an open shelf unit with toys/books displayed on. I have shelves up high for puzzles/games so i can make sure the pieces are not just tipped out and lost.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Octopus DayCare View Post
    I had a visit from a CO this week and she said that although she really likes how I display all the toys within easy reach of the children she thought that my setting would be better if I was to not have any toys out and instead had a big purpose built storage unit for all of the toys so they can select what they want.
    Currently the way I do it is I have two playrooms, one has a ledge all of the way round that I use like having shelves and display toys on, in baskets or just for easy reach. I also have toys freestanding or in buckets for the children to rummage. it has always worked well for me because a lot of the children I have are under 3 and would struggle to reach up to the cabinet to select toys. I would have to constantly be getting things out for them I think.
    I was wondering what other childminders find works for them?

x
    Am guessing a CO is what I call a DO - usually I nod politely at their advice... and then promptly do it the way I find works best for the children I have with me at that point in time

Personally I have a playroom and a mix of ikea units for storage - the way you have it with under 3s sounds fine (just tell her you tried her idea and it didnt work for the children you have now but thanks for the idea as maybe it will be an idea for the future )

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

ive gone from having loads out before easter and nothing getting played with properly and toys and bits thrown everywhere to just getting down a small selection which cover each area and rotate these each couple of days (have spare bedroom where keep all cm stuff) plus now weather getting nicer they are in garden alot more and have selection of ride ons/seesaw/kitchen/sandpitout there - felt like my home was beginning to resemble a nursery and it was getting me down xx
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx