Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting the ball rolling - assistants

Ok...i was flirting with the idea of extra hands to help. Someone to talk to. Bounce ideas off.

So....i found an ideal candidate by references her qualifications and experiences and done an application form

We havent done contract yet as waiting for checks to be done. She has just done her ey2 online. And we are waiting for a family to.sign up so she can start.

Now what?! What do.i do now?!

I will be having max of 6 kiddies in my setting. Under 5's. No cry out for over 5's here.

Too excited

What do i need in place?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a useful factsheet from Ofsted in free resources above which may give you some tips

Here is the link:
    assistant factsheet

In the meantime you could start thinking about:
    1) were will you log the times and dates the assistant is with you like an attendance register
    2) how will you show/how will you make your assistant aware of fire procedure, emergency procedure, etc and how will you log that she has read and understood all of your policies and procedures.
    3) Have you advised all of the parents of the situation and got written permission for your assistant to be left with their child
    4) Have you thought about how payment will work, and were you were log this

These are just a few things i could think of, but i have not had a assistant so i am sure someone will be along soon with more information

Good Luck x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know whether the Ofsted assistant factsheet has been updated, as the one on the link is for old EYFS, not revised version?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Does anyone know whether the Ofsted assistant factsheet has been updated, as the one on the link is for old EYFS, not revised version?
    I understand it's under review at the moment ...

The best thing to do is to look through the EYFS for reference to 'assistant' and 'staff' and make sure everything is in place.

Hth

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a word of warning - I have just done exactly this and take 6 under 5 s now too. But ofsted are taking AGES and I still haven't had confirmation that they are registered and have got children waiting to start who obviously can't until my assistants registration is sorted - it's been 2 months now and still nothing from ofsted...

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarak31 View Post
    Just a word of warning - I have just done exactly this and take 6 under 5 s now too. But ofsted are taking AGES and I still haven't had confirmation that they are registered and have got children waiting to start who obviously can't until my assistants registration is sorted - it's been 2 months now and still nothing from ofsted...
    Oh gosh really?? Was it done online too? I have sent them an email.stating she done her ey2 online and asking them if there is anhthing i need to.do.and about next steps.and.process.

Mostly as i havent had confirmation she done the form.online.....part of me worried a bit as anyone can do an ey2 form.and say they gonna be ur assistant!

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Lucky i havent families signed up.yet.

Are we allowed to have them.work supervised by us while we wait? I know nurseries can. I kno some nurseries wait 3 months before they pay for crb

Post Thanks / Like

With parents permission they can work with you supervised until all necessary paperwork done, but must not be left alone at anytime. They also need to do safeguarding e-learning, paediatric first aid training and preferably CYPOP5. Hope this helps

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

She has safeguarding as she has already worked in the area before and done it. She has first aid and she has a level 3 in childcare and education like me so im.guessin she doesnt need to do cypop5 as she only gonna be assistant x

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes they can work before they are registered with parent approval, fully supervised and no personal care of children before crb through. The ey2 will trigger a crb form to be sent direct to your assistant. One tip - the back page - ID verification is for you to complete not ofsted - you can check the ID documents and complete the end of the CRB form and return it to ofsted yourself - they don't tell you this when you start the process and if you don't complete this page they just send it back to your assistant and it takes even longer.

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma Smithson View Post
    With parents permission they can work with you supervised until all necessary paperwork done, but must not be left alone at anytime. They also need to do safeguarding e-learning, paediatric first aid training and preferably CYPOP5. Hope this helps
    are you sure about this ..i have just had a student placement start at my setting ,she has first aid ,is 18 and am about to fill out ey2 for her..can i already increase my numbers on those days while waiting for the relevant paperwork but just not leave unsupervised ??
    i thought she would have to be approved before i could let her actually work,otherwise couldnt we say anyone was an assistant and go over numbers all the time
    Last edited by dette; 24-02-2013 at 09:15 PM.

feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine had an assistant whole stole from her so was immediately sacked but this left her in a muddle with numbers. She sorted it in the short term until she found a replacement and kept ofsted informed at all times. She was told on more than one occasion that she could start the assistant once the ey2 (?) was filled in. Not leave them alone etc etc.
    she then rang our development officer who had it confirmed on her behalf.

I would ring and ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dette View Post

are you sure about this ..i have just had a student placement start at my setting ,she has first aid ,is 18 and am about to fill out ey2 for her..can i already increase my numbers on those days while waiting for the relevant paperwork but just not leave unsupervised ??
    i thought she would have to be approved before i could let her actually work,otherwise couldnt we say anyone was an assistant and go over numbers all the time
    Hi there!

I'm about to take on 2 placement girlies to do 4.5 hours two days a week each.. They're crb checked through their high school, what else do I need to get sorted for them? For eg as they are crb checked are they allowed to change nappies if I supervise? Do i need to inform ofsted? One is 16, the other is 17... Any help on this would be great.

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
    Hi there!

I'm about to take on 2 placement girlies to do 4.5 hours two days a week each.. They're crb checked through their high school, what else do I need to get sorted for them? For eg as they are crb checked are they allowed to change nappies if I supervise? Do i need to inform ofsted? One is 16, the other is 17... Any help on this would be great.
    hi x i phoned OFSTED and was told that they would need to have another crb done through them(seems stupid as my placement has just been on placement and working at a local nursery and primary school !!)
    they sais she would need cm2 form aswell.im the meantime she could be here under supervision,not left unattended etc .i dont imagine they could do nappies without an ofsted crb but i recomend you phone up OFSTED and check as most of us on here can tell you OFSTED change their minds depending on the day of the week .let me know what you here from them ,and good luck with your placements,mine is my DS godmother so no worries here

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Jesus.. They're due to start this week, one tomorrow and one on thurs... Ill ring ofsted in the morning & find out. Thank you for your help!