Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    18/01/2013
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pay for an assistant

Hi

My mom is possibly being made redundant and we're looking into her becoming my assistant. Do I have to pay her minimum wage legally??

We discussed taking on another full time child and her having the fees as payment.

Thank you

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

she can be selfemployed ,so can be paid an agreed amount ,not a wage

3. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    18/01/2013
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! That was considered and your answered has confirmed it's ok.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have three assistants registered but my accountant told me that if your assistant regularly works over 40 hours they can't be classed as self employed and have to be on minimum wage. X

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helengreen13 View Post
    I have three assistants registered but my accountant told me that if your assistant regularly works over 40 hours they can't be classed as self employed and have to be on minimum wage. X
    We're talking about assistants, but - if a Reg Childminder regularly works over 40 hours per week, ( I do and Im sure there's loads in the same boat) does that mean that we don't count as self-employed either? or is it just assistants?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand it's just Assistants

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

Being self employed there's now a limiting in how many hour u can work for the same person. With childminder we get paid by different parents so we don't just work for 1 person otherwise they'd have to employ you.

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

That should read limit on silly phone

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you

apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I employ and pay my husband a wage as a working assistant I have no problem paying him the min wage at all just not sure how it would work with his Csa payments ? I'd only need him for 9 hours in term time and 15 hours in school holidays he crb checked by ofsted and has 12 hour first aid training he also has safeguarding too in place but I've got busy over 3 days so need the help any help would be grateful please

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jashol View Post
    Can I employ and pay my husband a wage as a working assistant I have no problem paying him the min wage at all just not sure how it would work with his Csa payments ? I'd only need him for 9 hours in term time and 15 hours in school holidays he crb checked by ofsted and has 12 hour first aid training he also has safeguarding too in place but I've got busy over 3 days so need the help any help would be grateful please
    if this is his only job then he will only be liable for csa payment on what he gets from you,if he has other work then he will have to pay the usual tax etc on what you pay him and the wage off you will be added to his other wage and both taken into account for the csa.but keep in mind paying out wages increases your expences and you will pay less tax yourself

apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi yeah it would be his only job with me for now as the company he is working for are getting a lot of bailiffs going each week for money we thought if he worked for me until he found something else it means he wouldn't have to stop his Csa payments which we don't want to stop ! But with us been married we didn't know if this would be the case or if my work or us been married would affect us we tried to ring them but we never get a straight answer !! How would I prove that it is a wage from me to him as I don't have any pay slips !? Ect

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jashol View Post
    Hi yeah it would be his only job with me for now as the company he is working for are getting a lot of bailiffs going each week for money we thought if he worked for me until he found something else it means he wouldn't have to stop his Csa payments which we don't want to stop ! But with us been married we didn't know if this would be the case or if my work or us been married would affect us we tried to ring them but we never get a straight answer !! How would I prove that it is a wage from me to him as I don't have any pay slips !? Ect
    My son works for me as my assistant but I didn't want all the responsibility or obligations that go with being someone's employer, so he has registered as self employed with HMRC and I pay him an agreed amount (per hour suits us both).

You can do your own paperwork for proof, just as you write an invoice or receipt out for parents payments. And there is also the good old bank statement if you just transfer money from your account to his...

I keep a note of hours worked and when, money earned; then give my son the money and he signs to say he's recieved it . It is his responsibility to keep records of his earnings for HMRC, pay any national insurance etc

12/2011
    Post Thanks / Like

Im looking into my friend being a assistant self employed but how much do I pay her per hour

apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm paying the min wage )6.19 per hour but depends on age too

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

My assistant is obviously a lucky girl as I pay her £7.50 an hour :0