Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default volunteer assistant???

Ok, hope i can make this make sense!

I have a friend who is looking to register to be a childminder so she can co mind with me. Until her registration is in place, we were thinking of getting her registered as my assistant, so she can gain some work experience. She has her own son who she would bring with her - which is why i need her as my assistant really as her son would take me over my numbers - or does this matter if she is caring for him??

My question is can she be a volunteer assistant - i.e an assistant without having to pay her? i know that sounds horrible, but i cant afford to play her minimum wage (she would be earning more than me) and she has already said she doesnt expect any money until she is co minding and then she will have her own mindees!

does that make sense?? i tried asking OFSTED but i didn't really get a straight answer

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If she want to just come and get some work experience then she doesn't need to be registered as your assistant - if she brings her son, she is responsible for him - but you can't leave her alone with the your minded children. No different than if one of your friends with a child pops round for a couple of hours.

If she registers as your assistant and you take on extra mindees then you will have to pay her minimum wage and make sure you have employers liability and find out if you need to get planning permission from local council.

If she registers in her own name but wants to work from your house, then she will charge the parents for the mindees she looks after, but you will still need to find out about planning permission.

If she is your assistant and you want to leave her unsupervised with the children, she will need to do first aid course.

jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

If she is your assistant, volunteer or paid she would need to go through the registration process anyway. Being paid or not is your and her problem, I do not think anybody would have to have their say unless I am mistaken. But she needs to have first aid, CRB, Ofsted registration, parents' approvals etc.

She could also just be a friend coming over to gain experience, taking care of her son (so he wouldn't count as one of yours in your ratio), and helping around. She might help with activities, meal preps, tidying, outings etc.
    Yet you have to be very clear on what she can't do (driving the children, be alone with them, participate in intimate care and such)
    I would also personnaly seek parents' points of view and see if they are confortable with the idea and the person, and I think if it were on a regular basis she might have to be CRB checked, as it would be as if she lived in the house in a way, so CRB and declared to Ofsed if it lasts a long time...

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much for your replies

I have planning permission for 6 children without seeking extra planning if that makes sense and i wouldn't need to go over this. I have already spoken to the parents and they are fine with it, but i will get it put in writing. She completes her first aid course on thursday and we are debating whether to fill out the ey2 form now depending on the volunteer vs assistant issue!

i *think* i already have the relevant insurance, as my partner is listed as my assistant , but im not 100% sure, so will double check.