Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many extra with an assistant

Hello,

Can I just check, if I was to have my OH as my assistant could I double the early years I have? So have 6? And also, if he is just working alongside me to share the wage we get what does he have to declare himself as? Self-employed? Or do I have to show on paper if has a wage? Hope that makes sense! lol Basically whatever I earn goes into a huge pot which will be 'ours'.

Thanks x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you want to go above 6 children under the age of 8 you will mostly likely need to apply for planning permission - this can take some months to come through and is quite costly and time consuming so I'd check about that first if I were you because it varies depending on your LA.

How many children you can care for together depends on the space requirements in the Eyfs - best dig out your calculator and tape measure!

Hth

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply Sarah I wouldn't want to go over 6. Ideally I would like to have 5 early years with the help of an assistant. And that would be all. Would that be ok? x

june 05
    Post Thanks / Like

hubby is my assistant and I can have, 2 under 1, 6 under 5 and 9 under 8, but you need to measure useable space and if I remember right they dont count kitchen or hallways, Im sure I only measured living room and playroom ( which actually arent that big) x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats great! Thanks Jellytot How do you find having your OH has your assistant? I think I would defo. beable to have 5 early years in total because we do have quite a bit of space x

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Me and my DH are thinking about doing this too. He will initially be my assistant but wants to register as a childminder in the future. With regards to money, we are going to have a chat to an accountant about being partners in the business. As far as I know, you then divide up everything you earn in half for tax purposes. We also are not going to go over the 6 children rule, but more will probably be early years age.

jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jellytot View Post
    hubby is my assistant and I can have, 2 under 1, 6 under 5 and 9 under 8, but you need to measure useable space and if I remember right they dont count kitchen or hallways, Im sure I only measured living room and playroom ( which actually arent that big) x
    Why wouldn't the kitchen count? I have never heard of this, and during 2 of my houses (moved a lot) inspections, the kitchen space was taken into account by them.
    I currently have a big kitchen where the children like to play + a big table where we have some of our activities. This is fully used for childminding, so I do not see how it should be left out of available space?? I understand for tiny kitchen where you only have the place to cook, and of course hallways, but for bigger kitchens I think it must depend on the size and how you organise it...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When I spoke to ofsted regarding upping my numbers when my DH became my assistant they told me I could not include the kitchen I am thinking of ringing back to question it though as it is used by the older children when we cook and bake, I doubt very much I will get a straight answer though .