Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Assistant and 1st aid course

Morning all,
    sorry to be a pain, but I just want to check that I am right, as Ofsted were no help at all.
    My mum, who is registered as my assistant finishes her 1st aid course tomorrow.

Do I just need to ask parents to sign to say she can be left with the children, or do Ofsted have to approve it? I emailed them, and they just sent an email back saying assistants had to be checked by them (she is already checked and registered by them?!?!)

I really need her help on Thursday to collect a child from school.

Thanks in advance

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes - so long as parents sign and its under 2 hours a day its fine. There is a permission on the Bromley site x

Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes what westonian said, my assistant helps with school runs and that what I have done... I had a little more joy with ofsted and that's what thy had told me.

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to you both - that's what I thought, but just wanted to be sure!

Ofsted just sent me an email back saying all assistants needed to be CRB checked and cleared by them... not very helpful, as she already was!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Double check before you let your mum work on her own - my understanding is that Ofsted need to write to you to confirm your mum can now work on her own with children - and they can't do that until she has confirmed her First Aid is completed.

Hth

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Double check before you let your mum work on her own - my understanding is that Ofsted need to write to you to confirm your mum can now work on her own with children - and they can't do that until she has confirmed her First Aid is completed.

Hth
    Thanks Sarah. Have re-read all of the email reply, and all of the links to the EYFS that the Ofsted person sent me, and it is all about that a person with paediatric first aid must be on the premises at all times, and you have to have parent consent to leave the child in sole care of an assistant with relevant first aid. Think the main point of the email was this bit : 'Early Years Foundation Stage sets out the requirements that all providers must meet, including the factors you need to take into account when deciding on the numbers and ages of children that you may care for in your setting.' They also quoted some of the bits relevant to childminding assistants from the EYFS.

So I'm quite sure that Ofsted no longer state whether you can leave your assistant unsupervised, as it's all to do with the EYFS guidelines.
    The parent in question has signed a permission form and is quite happy for my mum to collect her child on Thursday, as long as the 1st aid course is completed tomorrow.

The other point of the email was about my son having started school, so I wanted to know if I could have the additional EY child space that he was previously taking up - to which I have to ring up to get a new certificate sent out?!?! Very bizarre!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ofsted document 080289 - the use of assistants - states clearly that Ofsted must approve assistants.

I am not aware of this document being updated or removed from the Ofsted website... so like I say please just check because if the helpline is giving you the wrong information and you do not have it in writing you might not be insured if something goes wrong.

I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone xx

Using assistants
    Childminders cannot just ask parents to give their permission about using assistants.
    This includes any arrangements to leave children alone with assistants. We must
    check those living or working on childminding premises as well as checking any
    assistants. The law requires childminders to tell us about their planned arrangements
    as well as the name and address of any assistant before employing or using them.
    This must be in writing unless we are told at an inspection or other visit. You must
    also tell us about any changes to assistants.
    We must decide if assistants are suitable by carrying out checks, including checks
    with the Criminal Records Bureau. We need the consent of each assistant to do the
    checks and a declaration about their suitability. We do not do the same checks on
    assistants as on childminders, because the registered childminder is responsible for
    the children, as well as managing any assistants. Childminders cannot use assistants
    to replace themselves for long periods of time. Where childminders wish to work with
    or employ people with the same level of responsibility as themselves then the
    assistant must register as a childminder. When we decide about an assistant’s
    suitability we will tell the childminder and assistant our decision.

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted wanted proof of the first aid certificate before they would allow by dh/assistant to be left 'in sole charge' of the children and I needed to have that particular wording on my certificate.

I don't believe there has been any change in that requirement! so agree with Sarah

It is perfectly normal for them to talk through the changes with you, ie your child not in EY age group any more and then sending a new cert. I had to do it when DD3 turned a year and when DD2 went from nursery to reception. I will have to do it again when DD2 turns 8 and will have to do it again when DD3 goes in to reception

They don't automatically update numbers, even though they know the ages of our own children

HTH

Hx

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,
    Thought I would update you with the information from Ofsted about assistant's 1st aid.

They no longer need to know that you may be leaving an assistant with the children if they have a 1st aid certificate, as it is our responsibility to make sure that all the EYFS/registration requirements are met at all times.

So as long as your assistant is already registered with Ofsted, and you have got permission from parents about it, then it is ok. But you do need to have received a new updated EYFS registration certificate from them before you can put it into action.

Hope that helps (a bit, or not?!?!)