Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Assistant help

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Assistant help

Hi everyone!

I've just rung Ofsted with regards to taking on an assistant.

They informed me that we can makeover own decisions with how many extra children you take on obv as long as you don't go over your 6 under 8 each and that you fully follow the EYFS guidelines, that you must risk assess and the main biggy is that you fulfil the guidelines for the required amount of space per child

I have researched that they are as follows

Under 2 - 3.5 square metres

2-3 - 2.5 sq m

3-7 - 2.3 sq m

In my house the rooms that are used are the lounge, the front bedroom (which has no bed it is purely used for childminding) and the playroom

The measurements are as follows

Bedroom - 3.68 m x 3.18 m = 11.70 square metres

Lounge - 3.68 m x 3.20 m = 11.77 sq m

Playroom - 3.73 m x 3.66 m = 13.65 sq m

Total being 37.2 square metres

So by my calculation as I would have a 1 year old and a 2 year old (needing 6 sq m between them) and the rest being between 3-7 or older... That would mean allowable on the premises would be 13 children...

37.2 - 6 = 31.12

31.12 divided by 2.3 would be 13.5

So obviously not going over ratios each, we would be able to have a few more children to make it worth while employing my assistant...

Have put all this on here to give any help from what I have found out but also to check that what I have worked out to be right...

I have 3 bathrooms on my premises so toilets wouldn't be an issue.

Anything I haven't thought of? Would gladly like any input or advice!

Post Thanks / Like

I see 100 people have viewed my post, anyone any advice??

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems right to me!

I would love an assistant but am limited with space. I also worry about what would happen when that assistant is off sick etc.

In terms of space though I think you are right

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

do you count clear space IE not include area taken up by sofa ,table ect or is it total area in the room coz most of my space is taken by toy boxes and cupboards and sofa and toys and more toys .my cert says can have 12 under 8 with assistant but that was measured in my old house and not mentioned at my latest inspection in my new(been here 6 year )house.my old house was huge.this one is still big but could do with checking really so i know its right,not that i would grass myself up to OFSTED and demand less kids on cert

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It is supposed to be USABLE space - so any space taken up by fixed things like bookshelves cannot be included.

When I did mine I did count the space that the table takes up, as this is used for activities as well as eating, but I don't think I included the space taken up by the settee.

But generally, its the clear space you have available

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an assistant who is lovely. However I took on an apprentice who decided to email 1 day and say she wouldn't be back, its given me a nightmare trying to cover and not let any parents down. It works brilliantly if you get the right persona and they are 100% reliable!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

OP, check with your LA planning officer first. Some require planning permission before you can increase your numbers. It would add to costs, and alter other things such as insurance policies, or may not be permitted under a domestic mortgage or rental agreement.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeepers how on earth are you supposed to work out available space around tables chairs sofa toy boxes etc

God it's too much hassle don't think ill bother

Thank you for replying though everyone

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLadybirds View Post
    It is supposed to be USABLE space - so any space taken up by fixed things like bookshelves cannot be included.

When I did mine I did count the space that the table takes up, as this is used for activities as well as eating, but I don't think I included the space taken up by the settee.

But generally, its the clear space you have available
    Settee is used for children to sit on x

10. Likes kellyb liked this post
    jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SammyL View Post
    Settee is used for children to sit on x
    do kids sit on yours...mine climb ,roll off, dive on,sprawl out but i,ve never seen one sit...i'll have a word with them

12. Likes k1rstie, winstonian, SammyL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all!

Well my "assistant" to be has filled out the form and we have sent it off. I am only looking at taking on an extra 2 under 8 and 1 8 year old with having her as my assistant. As for if she is off or anything like that, then I have another Mum of children I look after that is willing to be my back up assistant. They are both self employed as they both run their own beauty therapy businesses part time. My main assistant is going to be my voluntary assistant, but with regards to my back up assistant, with her being self employed how would it work with paying her?? Any help would be great thanks!

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dette View Post
    do kids sit on yours...mine climb ,roll off, dive on,sprawl out but i,ve never seen one sit...i'll have a word with them
    Hmmmm thinking about it they do only sit still if they fall asleep on it!! lol