Do I need to inform parents in writing and what if they dont agree.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do I need to inform parents in writing and what if they dont agree.

If I were to employ an assistant, or 2, do I need to inform parents of my intentions in writing? I ask because obviously they have chosen me as a small setting and if I increase my numbers by many then can they object? Would they be able to cancel the contract without payment for example. Also, I assume that the same floor space per child ratio still applies too.
    Any advice would be great.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi sorry don't have an answer but would be interested in the replies you get.

04 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes same floor space applies, also you need to check with your council in case you need planning permission (many do). Not sure about parents, I would say that they would be entitled to give you four weeks notice but not to leave immediatley without notice. Why dont you sound them out with an 'I'm thinking about.... How do you feel about that?'
    [I]Sharon
    *****proofed the house but they're still getting in!!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I certainly think it would be good practice to consult with parents. It gives you an opportunity to promote the positive aspects of what you're doing. Your adult:child ratio cannot get worse with an assitant, it should actually get better at certain times, so that should be a good thing for the children, so long as you have sufficient space and resources. In any case, you're still a "small setting" compared to a nursery.

I suppose it would be possible for an aggrieved parent with a wily solicitor to argue that appointing an assistant would significantly change your service, enough to nullify the contract and let them walk away without notice. But I think you'd avoid this if you talk to parents and promote it as 'change for the better'.

The one thing you must do is to get parental consent to leave a child in the sole care of an assistant at any time.