A quick question about holiday for those with assistants.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A quick question about holiday for those with assistants.

Hey Guys,
    Just a quick question, I am taking on an assistant. Basically she wants to keep her Tuesday and Thursday evening job so can only do 8-4 on those days, On a Monday and Wednesday she can work till 6 and she would like Fridays off.
    She also said she is happy to be self employed as she will have 2 jobs and not working full time just hours i need within her availability hours. I have someone else lined up for cover.
    My question is what do you do about holiday?
    I know as shes self employed I technically don't have to pay her so just asking what you would do?
    Also if I payed her holiday what would be the best way of working out her holiday? Would she accrue it as in work x hours for 1 day off or just give her the 25 days employees are initialed to? As she only wants to work 4 days would she be entitled to less holiday?
    All Ideas and reply's of how you personally do it are welcome.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tara x
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Holiday for part timers is usually worked out Pro Rata so if full time had 25 days holiday 4 days would have 20 days holiday.

I don't understand if she was self employed why you would want to pay holiday that seems expensive to me.

Also there is an amount per week I think it is around £110. Ring HMRC to check. If she earns more than that she has to be employed. You would then have to pay min wage, holidays, sick pay and maternity pay and pay her tax and NI and produce a payroll.

Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Holiday for part timers is usually worked out Pro Rata so if full time had 25 days holiday 4 days would have 20 days holiday.

I don't understand if she was self employed why you would want to pay holiday that seems expensive to me.

Also there is an amount per week I think it is around £110. Ring HMRC to check. If she earns more than that she has to be employed. You would then have to pay min wage, holidays, sick pay and maternity pay and pay her tax and NI and produce a payroll.
    Thanks Rickysmiths, She has 2 other jobs, one she's employed at and one shes self employed in so she wants to go self employed as its easier for her apparently.
    I've sorted it now but thank you for getting back to me xx
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I know you say you sorted things out now but this link might be useful for you as the holiday entitlement is 28 days but it gives you lots of examples for part timers, but again if she wanted to remain self employed you might want to check that this is eligible as there are quite strict guidelines to whether you can have someone self employed I wouldn't want you to get in trouble as the responsibility would fall upon yourself, ( I definately would not be paying holiday pay if she was s/e . http://www.acas.org.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=955&p=0.

Good luck and hope the above will help

THIS MIGHT ALSO HELP http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

JUST THOUGHT HOPE IT IS OK TO PUT THIS LINK ON BUT IF NOT PLEASE REMOVE AND VERY SORRY PAULINE X
    Last edited by pillows; 27-05-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stardust View Post
    Thanks Rickysmiths, She has 2 other jobs, one she's employed at and one shes self employed in so she wants to go self employed as its easier for her apparently.
    I've sorted it now but thank you for getting back to me xx
    Easier for whom? You would be responsible if it was later discovered (if HMRC did and investigation for example) and you had let her be self employed when she should have been employed you would be the one in trouble. Please do check it out thoroughly.