Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default need recommendations!

Hello all, hoping you can help here.
    I mind a lad who has Downs Syndrome and delayed development. He is 11 years, but is cognitively around 5/6 years, and I would assess his reading level as around 3/4 years. As in, knows what a book is, knows a couple of sounds, but doesn't read at all.
    I need ideas for books that he can begin to access with some help, but are not boring for him. I tried reading some of The Twits with him, and although he appeared to be listening I'm pretty sure he did not understand any of it.
    His interests are football, riding and painting.
    Thanks so much for your help!

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not have a go at making up your own stories. I have done this with 5/6 year olds. You start the story off, he adds a bit, you add a bit and so on. For example one day we went to the woods and we saw? letting him fill in the blanks. You can then type this up let him draw pictures, laminate and bind. He will love looking back at something he helped to create. Probably doesnt answer you question but is a great activity and can relate it to his interests and can reread this with him and as repeated he may remember some of the words. Hth

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Horrid Henry... Beano jokes... any comics related to favourite TV characters...

Remember it doesn't have to be books! It can be anything with print that takes his interest.

A friend's son is really into train timetables because he loves pretending to be a signal man.

Penny1959 Guest

With my grandson who was 6 at the time but about 4 developmentally, I made him a book.

He was the hero so his name was on every page - at the time he was into monsters, blood, going fast and an odd sense of humour- so he drew a picture for mr monster that I scanned so could print lots of.

We only did a page a day - and read it several times. As well as his name and the picture of the monster there was a flap with a picture that I drew or cut out of a mag or used some clip art.

A typical page would be
    Mr Monster wanted to go to the park, but he was too big for the car. So they went on Dominic's skateboard. They went very, very fast and Mr.Monster fell of and bump his .... (flap here and under flap picture of knee - complete with lots of blood)

Dominic loved re reading the previous day (s) pages and building the story each day. I limted each book to about 6 pages - that way we could introduce new ideas / adventures.

Penny

Post Thanks / Like

There are some great books by Shaun Tan which are non word picture books.

Here is an example from amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arrival-Shaun-Tan/dp/0340969938

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

My mindees of various ages (non with soecific needs though) all enjoy the ladybird book on the iPhone app, they can read along with them, just read them, listen to them and even record their own version.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

a great boys book would be

The Story of the Little Mole Who Knew It Was None of His Business

by Werner Holzwarth . Its about a mole who wakes up in the morning to find someone has done a poo on his head!!!!

All kids anything to do with poo!!!!

jun10
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow Penny that is a really great idea! I mind a little boy who is just 4 who loves dressing up and making adventures up !