Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Recommend a Spanish or French book

My DD is always asking about other languages and knows a few simple words from other languages.

She is always asking me if I know what words are in other languages. She will be five in January and I thought of buying her a simple picture type dictionary. She has just started reception so can't read herself yet, it would be a book for us to share with her.

I'd prefer a book that tells us how to pronounce a word rather than just the spelling in the language IYSWIM.

I think French or Spanish would be best or better still a book with several languages. Can you recommend anything?

aug 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Recommend a Spanish or French book

try the festival shop i got a arabic one from there. otherwise try your local library tell them what you want see if they can find anything

Post Thanks / Like

Usborne books used to do the first 1000 words in French and Spanish - they were like a picture dictionary and had the words with small pictures around the page - not sure they gave the pronunciation though.

Do you have The Works near you? They often have language books in. Or you could see what they've got in your local library and then buy the one you like.

Miffy xx

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Usborne books used to do the first 1000 words in French and Spanish - they were like a picture dictionary and had the words with small pictures around the page - not sure they gave the pronunciation though.

Do you have The Works near you? They often have language books in. Or you could see what they've got in your local library and then buy the one you like.

Miffy xx

Thanks, I was in The Works today but didn't think to look, it was very busy mind you and I had a pram with me.

We had an Usborne stall at school today. I saw one book at £4.99 but it didn't have the pronunciation.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beccas View Post
    try the festival shop i got a arabic one from there. otherwise try your local library tell them what you want see if they can find anything
    Good idea re: library, I never thought of that! I'll try the Festival shop now.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if the Festival Shop is working at the moment, I couldn't view quite a few links. It brought up the same page when I clicked several different page links.

I know I said a book but I just found Usborne French Snap cards for £3.43with free P&P. I know they use snap cards quite a lot at school and can also use them as a memory game so I'll try these. If she likes them then I will look for something else. It is her birthday mid January so I need a few ideas.

All useful resources for my childminding too.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can get dual language Dora the Explorer books which tend to have pronunciation in them.

When I was in France I picked up a couple of French ones as well.

They mean more to the children because they are stories children know with pictures

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you seen the booklet that Elodie made? It is in the free downloads, called Petit Pouchet.

Elodie is French and teaches it to English children, excellent booklet.
    Pauline x

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    You can get dual language Dora the Explorer books which tend to have pronunciation in them.

When I was in France I picked up a couple of French ones as well.

They mean more to the children because they are stories children know with pictures
    I noticed on Amazon that the Child's Play rhyme books that I sell with Sign Language come with other languages too. I thought my DD might like those too. She loves 'reading' the signing ones as like you say, she knows the words so she thinks she is actually reading.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    Have you seen the booklet that Elodie made? It is in the free downloads, called Petit Pouchet.

Elodie is French and teaches it to English children, excellent booklet.
    No, I'd not seen that but will look, thanks.

Dec 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Usborne do a huge range of language books and most of them come with internet links so you can get correct pronounciation for the words you are looking at. The new flash cards also have internet links.

Mine learnt spanish watching Dora & Diago. My sister's friend gave them the complete part works of Dora. Great except when you have to sit through the same episode again & again.

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We have both the French and the Spanish books from the Works, they were only £1 when we got them. We also have the cds from ELC, they are fab and we have them on in the car so we all have fun learning

Carol xx

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,

Interested in this - what's the youngest age anyone has used these kind of books for?

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I got both the french and spanish 'Adventures with Nicholas' sets in the Works for a mighty £4.99 each.

I can speak both languages already (if quite rustily), so I don't need a pronunciation guide.

They're brilliant. And you get a cd with traditional songs in each language on it. And a cuddly toy!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiorjiina View Post
    I got both the french and spanish 'Adventures with Nicholas' sets in the Works for a mighty £4.99 each.

I can speak both languages already (if quite rustily), so I don't need a pronunciation guide.

They're brilliant. And you get a cd with traditional songs in each language on it. And a cuddly toy!
    That looks lovely, some available on Amazon too, I like the cuddly toy!!

Adventures with Nicholas
    Pauline x

Penny1959 Guest

I use the usborne ones - great as each book has same pictures so makes it easy for me. There is as someone has said an internet link as well

Penny

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought Little Red Riding Hood (Le Petit Chaperon Rouge) by Ana Lomba. It comes with a CD which tells the story in both french and english, so pronunciation is easy.