Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Don't Call Me Special by Pat Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    I have a book called "Daddy, will you miss me?"

The back says "My Dadd's going to work, far away in Africa - without me.
    But every day that he's away Daddy promises to send words on the wind and every night he promises to send kisses right across the world into his young son's dreams. A beautiful and lyrical text and atmospheric illustrations capture all the emotion of the close relationship between a father and a son.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daddy-Will-Y...3588297&sr=8-3

It is a lovely book, and I think ideal for what you want it for.

Jules

I had a tear in my eyes just reading th synopsis x
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lorri, found another synopsis about the book.
    It is rare to come across a picture book featuring a strong boy/father emotional story-line. ‘My Daddy’s going to work, far away in Africa – without me’ is an opening that at once draws in the infant reader and adult alike. Both father and son mark their time apart in different ways. Each day the son puts a big red X on the calendar in the kitchen; the father whispers his son’s name to the wind so that it swirls home across continents. While Dad encounters heat, dust and giant African birds and lions, the son looks out on snow and drinks hot chocolate. There is a gentle pace and simplicity to the narrative which conveys their sense of separation with power and pathos, so that their reuniting at the airport on the final page brought tears to the four-year-old with whom I read.

Eachus’ soft-focus illustrations offer a stunning backdrop to the text: from her pictures of the boy alone with his thoughts of distant Africa to the final page of father and son embracing. This is a book that handsomely embodies ‘the cuddle factor’ of fine picture books and one which every dad and lad in the land should share!

Sorry Susan, this will make you cry as well!!
    Jules

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    Lorri, found another synopsis about the book.
    It is rare to come across a picture book featuring a strong boy/father emotional story-line. ‘My Daddy’s going to work, far away in Africa – without me’ is an opening that at once draws in the infant reader and adult alike. Both father and son mark their time apart in different ways. Each day the son puts a big red X on the calendar in the kitchen; the father whispers his son’s name to the wind so that it swirls home across continents. While Dad encounters heat, dust and giant African birds and lions, the son looks out on snow and drinks hot chocolate. There is a gentle pace and simplicity to the narrative which conveys their sense of separation with power and pathos, so that their reuniting at the airport on the final page brought tears to the four-year-old with whom I read.

Eachus’ soft-focus illustrations offer a stunning backdrop to the text: from her pictures of the boy alone with his thoughts of distant Africa to the final page of father and son embracing. This is a book that handsomely embodies ‘the cuddle factor’ of fine picture books and one which every dad and lad in the land should share!

Sorry Susan, this will make you cry as well!!
    Jules

oh god really lost the plot now I want to get this book just in case I can use it in the future for any mindees x
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

ordered 4 pat thomas books new from book depositary, worked out cheaper than buying used from amazon

my library is growing!!!
    boo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123