Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stories about birds?

I'm looking for stories about birds for little ones. I've got loads about owls, robins and ducks (would love recommendations for these too incase I have missed any) but I can't think of any just about birds in general/with a bird as the main character. I've got some lovely non fiction books on birds. Any ideas?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

not a story book but we have this ... press the button for bird songs!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Book...k+garden+songs

I've got a book called 'how the birds got their colours' which is an aboriginal dreamtime story - but it doesn't seem to be available anymore ( I bought mine when I lived in Australia ). There is a folk story called the rainbow bird, that appears to come from a variety of countries which is also how they got their colours etc.

we love Daisy Duck books by Jane Simmons

and 'Tango makes three' is a nice story about penguins (although not usually chosen because it is about penguins!)

I saved this link a long time ago about bird books! https://delightfulchildrensbooks.com/2011/07/08/birds/

have fun x

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant, thanks. I've literally just ordered the sound button book! It's been on my list for a while and I couldn't hold out any longer.

Lovely website, thanks for the link. I'll check out some of the other titles.

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wanted to do a focus on garden birds when we were looking at the blue tits in our camera bird box last year....surprisingly found very little fiction, the button book of garden birdsong was brilliant ..for me!
    I bought :
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Every-Littl...s+for+children

The lyrics of Bob Marley ( big fan) three birds song ....not quite a bird story but this book has gone down well here...with his song too.

This one was quite good too...but might be a bit young for your daughter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Kevin...s+for+children

My son's partner is an author and commissioning editor and I did suggest to her last year that this area lacked stories....when she she visited a week ago and saw the current inhabitants of the bird box, she became more interested...she watched the family all week end, enjoying our own Spring watch..gave them names,and personality words ..so watch this space in the future, we may have a fiction book based around blue tits!

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I wanted to do a focus on garden birds when we were looking at the blue tits in our camera bird box last year....surprisingly found very little fiction, the button book of garden birdsong was brilliant ..for me!
    I bought :
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Every-Littl...s+for+children

The lyrics of Bob Marley ( big fan) three birds song ....not quite a bird story but this book has gone down well here...with his song too.

This one was quite good too...but might be a bit young for your daughter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Kevin...s+for+children

My son's partner is an author and commissioning editor and I did suggest to her last year that this area lacked stories....when she she visited a week ago and saw the current inhabitants of the bird box, she became more interested...she watched the family all week end, enjoying our own Spring watch..gave them names,and personality words ..so watch this space in the future, we may have a fiction book based around blue tits!
    Oh I love the look of the 2nd one. The illustrations are beautiful and so DD would love them and use them as a stimulus for lots of art work. It's not just for my DD, I was thinking of doing an after school book club for reception/year 1 children at school next year, plus, I'm pretty sure I will do childminding again - I miss toddlers.

A story based around blue tits would be awesome. They are the most frequent visitors in our garden! Keep me posted.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The birdfeeder of Istanbul is fab. Also Mr chicken goes to Paris is a very funny story about mr chicken.

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought 'In the Nest' by Anna Milbourne. Beautiful illustrations of a blue tit, goldfinch and kingfisher. It's kind of a cross between simple non-fiction and a simple story. I buy used where I can from Amazon, and this one was really cheap.