Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: HELP

Registered Childminder since
    july 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Post HELP

Anyone got any good advice on ways to stop me biting my nails!!!
    I know it's a discusting habit! Tried Stop and Grow and Bitter Nail stuff but nothing works!!!!!!!
    Just haven't got will power and it's more like habbit I do it and i'm not aware of it!!
    Any advice from any former nail biters would be great!!
    katieskatie xx

amirose Guest

Default Re: HELP

I am actually a Nail Technician so hopefully can give you some good advice!

Firstly keep your nails really short, do not be tempted to try and grow them just yet, your nails will be really weak so its better to keep them short and strong.

Keep a nail file in your bag at all times! Most nail biters will start biting because they have a hang nail or something bothering them so always keep a nail file handy so you can file any sharp bits!

Buff your nails at least twice a week, this stimulates blood flow to your nails which in turn stimulates growth, it also will smooth out any flaking you may have at the top of your nails which in turn stops you picking.

File your nail once daily, I do not mean shape them, just give them a quick file with a smooth nail file (one without much grit) this will seal the ends of your nails and help protect them

Invest in a quality nail oil, I highly recommend OPI avoplex nail oil. Apply this over the entire nail surface once or twice a day then massage it in to each nail with your thumb. This will nourish your nails and help them grow - It also smells lush and tastes gross!

Another tip is to take a bowl and fill it with any oil, olive oil from the kitchen even, put it in the microwave for a minute or so, so its just warmed up, then soak the tips of your fingers in it for 5 minutes, once again this nourishes the cuticles and surrounding skin and will help with growth

Lastly do not be embarrassed to go for a manicure, a Nail Tech will be able to help improve the condition of your nails we are completely trained in the hands and feet and know all about the bones, muscles, diseases, skin and more - Nail Tech's are not just the people who paint your nails and make them look pretty! (I had 2 years training!)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow Ami I had no idea you had to do 2 years training!

Fab advice there...

Mine is really useless by comparison but to add my twopennorth I used to bite mine and someone caught them in a photo once. They looked awful and I was so ashamed I stuck it up on my noticeboard and promised my hands would never look like that again. Every time I found myself picking or nibbling I made myself look at that awful photo. I keep mine short now but I buff them every week to help them stay healthy.

Hope this helps!

july 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: HELP

WOW!!!!!!!! Excellent advice many thanks. That's Fantastic!!!!
    Got my nail file to hand as i'm typing this now!!! I'm definatley going to try the oil!
    Good advice about keeping a picture of my ugly nails too!
    Thanks again!!
    katieskatie xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by katieskatie View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!! Excellent advice many thanks. That's Fantastic!!!!
    Got my nail file to hand as i'm typing this now!!! I'm definatley going to try the oil!
    Good advice about keeping a picture of my ugly nails too!
    Thanks again!!

Hope it works

Angel xx

Post Thanks / Like

have you tried getting acrylic nails??? I know that I could not keep my natural nails long so...ive had them for years now.......tell u something, I don't bite these!

june 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by katieskatie View Post
    Anyone got any good advice on ways to stop me biting my nails!!!
    I know it's a discusting habit! Tried Stop and Grow and Bitter Nail stuff but nothing works!!!!!!!
    Just haven't got will power and it's more like habbit I do it and i'm not aware of it!!
    Any advice from any former nail biters would be great!!
    hi katieskatie ive bitten my nails for a long time it is a habit a discusting one annmac x

june 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amirose View Post
    I am actually a Nail Technician so hopefully can give you some good advice!

Firstly keep your nails really short, do not be tempted to try and grow them just yet, your nails will be really weak so its better to keep them short and strong.

Keep a nail file in your bag at all times! Most nail biters will start biting because they have a hang nail or something bothering them so always keep a nail file handy so you can file any sharp bits!

Buff your nails at least twice a week, this stimulates blood flow to your nails which in turn stimulates growth, it also will smooth out any flaking you may have at the top of your nails which in turn stops you picking.

File your nail once daily, I do not mean shape them, just give them a quick file with a smooth nail file (one without much grit) this will seal the ends of your nails and help protect them

Invest in a quality nail oil, I highly recommend OPI avoplex nail oil. Apply this over the entire nail surface once or twice a day then massage it in to each nail with your thumb. This will nourish your nails and help them grow - It also smells lush and tastes gross!

Another tip is to take a bowl and fill it with any oil, olive oil from the kitchen even, put it in the microwave for a minute or so, so its just warmed up, then soak the tips of your fingers in it for 5 minutes, once again this nourishes the cuticles and surrounding skin and will help with growth

Lastly do not be embarrassed to go for a manicure, a Nail Tech will be able to help improve the condition of your nails we are completely trained in the hands and feet and know all about the bones, muscles, diseases, skin and more - Nail Tech's are not just the people who paint your nails and make them look pretty! (I had 2 years training!)
    thanks amirose for the tip annmac x

Post Thanks / Like

Acrylic nails stopped me biting too.

although wow - def some good advise given on this thread!

(my nails aren't acrylic now but certainly before I started minding I used to have my nails done every couple of weeks and the acrylic def stopped me nibbling!)

x
    a mummy to a new puppy! My lovely King Charlie!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

mine are too short to even put acrylics on. been biting them for 40+ years so no hope for me im sure! It looks awful , especially on those rare occasions i get to dress up and put on the lippy , always feel my nails let me down. and the wrinkles. and the flab.