Words of encouragement and tips from an ex smoker of three years!

Threaded View

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Words of encouragement and tips from an ex smoker of three years!

hi ladies!

I just wanna wish you load of luck in your quest to conquer smoking and offer a few words of encouragement and some tips, i'm an ex smoker have been nearly three years now! And there is NO going back no no way!!

Hate to tell you this but the first week is the hardest! If you recognise that it is gonna be a tough week, it will probably help you prepare for the withdrawal. So ideally choose a week free of social events or a stress free week where you know your not gonna be tempted. BUT If you can get through seven little days of your life without a cigarette then you are well on way of being a non smoker!

Do try the nicorette replacement schemes, have a chat with your doctor and see what you think will work, i used to smoke when i was bored sometimes and had to do something with my hands, so I used the nicorette inhaler and sometimes rolled up bits of paper to imitate a cigarette!!!

Set your day to quit, i tried several times to quit and cutting down or changing brands didnt work for me personally - i think cold turkey is more sucessful.

Dont convince yourself you can be a social smoker! You are either a smoker or you are not!!! Keep telling yourself that!! There is no reason for you too have a cigarette EVER ...and if you've managed to go through a good few weeks without having a cigarette and hit a bad patch coz of stress etc... tell yourself, that you are an ex smoker and that thousands of ex smokers deal with stress without lighting up (we drink more....only kidding!) - so can you!!

Think of your daily routine when you usually smoke, first thing in the morning, driving the car etc, these will be the hardest cravings to crack. what i did was instead of lighting up, i'd have a chewing gum, or drink some water (i found the water very effective), eat some fruit or something else healthy - I must admit i didnt worry to much about the weight issue, coz i think you shouldnt be tooo hard on yourself, giving up smoking is tough! Allow yourself a few naughties every now and again to celebrate your sucess of being a non smoker - you can sort out shifting the extra pounds you've gained once your through the withdrawal.

Now this is silly, but it helped! I used to think that when i was having a craving that there was this little cigarette monster inside me that was telling me i had to feed it by having a cigarette, and he's a tough little sausage and quite stubborn - eventually this little monster will give up asking for cigarettes soon, do not give in to the monster, if you feed him the more he will want them and the more you will feed him!!! If you dont feed him, he will eventually die and you will be free!! (you can tell i'm a childminder cant you!!)

Keep a money jar, put your cigarette money in there and at the end of the week treat yourself to a new top or whatever!

You do want to quit otherwise you wouldnt be attempting to do so, and whenever you are tempted by a cigarette, remind yourself that if you have one, your cravings will get worse again, and you would of put yourself through all these horrible cravings, only to start all over again! Thats what kept me going, i didnt want to have to keep going through the "giving up" stage all over again.

You CAN do it!! And soon your'll be like me being the worlds worst ex smoker, cursing at people smoking at bus stops and turning my nose up at smelly cigarette stinking people - when you quit your realise just how bad you smelt!!!!!!

Good luck everyone! Loads and Loads of luck - I hope i've been able to help x
    Last edited by peggy; 17-01-2008 at 12:03 AM.
    x-x peggy x-x