Registered Childminder since
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parents collecting from front door/ porch

I have new families started/starting and I’d like to put out a newsletter for next week, one of the things I want to speak about ( I know we have spoken on hear about it before and I have put it in newsletters before) is collecting from the front door / porch rather then have families coming in one after the other. I find that after I’d encouraged the children to tidy up they see the parent that comes in as a queue to get toys out again and also parents tend to talk between themselves ( which is very nice) when I want to get on and prepare tea etc.

I can’t remember how I worded it before, apart from during the pandemic that was easy... you can’t come in! .but I want to put it in a nice way not to offend anyone but also say if someone needs to talk privately I’m happy for them to come in for that. Anyone good at newsletters? How will I word this please?

Do you all let parents in ? I’m sure when we have spoken about it before some didn’t . Wish I could find the old posts.

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have parents in unless its when they are settling a new one in, I always make it clear from the start that I do handovers at the door. I think a lot of people have carried on with it since the pandemic as everyone realised how much better it was not having parents coming in.

Sorry I am not very good with wording newsletters it always takes me ages to write them as I don't want them to sound to bossy but I need to get the info across.
    Pixie Dust

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can't remember how i worded it either ... except i started doing it during the pandemic, and just carried on! and think i just said to parents i do doorstep handovers! new parents see 'old' parents waiting outside and join the queue! sometimes i can have several parents arrive at once and i send a pile of children out together!

I'm also encouraging my parents NOT to come in when settling ... saying that if the child has had a parent IN the house, then, when they have gone, they look for them, whereas if the parent has never been in the house - they don't look for them! it works!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had parents come in the house for years, apart from the first day, if they want to (most don't!).

When I changed to door step hand over I said something like "As morning drop offs and afternoon pick ups are getting busy, it can be quite unsettling for the children when we have several parents come into the house in the morning or at home time. Some children are struggling with this so I'd like to try a new way of working which I think will help them. From X date I will be starting doorstep handovers. This will make the morning and afternoon so much quicker and easier for the children and hopefully less stressful for everyone. I'm sure you will all support me with this. Although we'll have time for a quick chat at handover times, I'll still be available if you need to have a longer talk. Just let me know and we can arrange a mutually convenient time."

I always try to word it that I'm doing it for the benefit of the children so parents can't really disagree.

7. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust, Dragonfly liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mouse. I have told parents before but want to remind in a nice way! Thank you all for your help.