Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: FCCERS

Registered Childminder since
    aug 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good in june
    Post Thanks / Like

Default FCCERS

I am going to have a FCCERS inspection in 2 weeks help.What are they looking for?I will have a 16 and 22 month old on that day.Do I need formal planning as they are both new in the last 2 weeks I am still getting to know them.I only have them 2 days a week and they are the only ones under 8 that I have the other 8 year old is just before school.AHHHHHHH

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

It's more about the resources on offer routines and hygiene procedures you follow than formal planning. I take it you have not been given the book to read through first?
    I wouldn't change anything or worry about it, it's meant to give you a scale of your current practice and then gives you ideas on things you might like to work on forthe future.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would make sure your hygiene routine is totally OTT, I was marked down on mine because I didn't wash the children's hands enough! According to their scale you have to wash their hands (and your own) under warm running water after nappy changing, before eating and after being in the garden, even babies. I used wipes on the LO's hands before lunch as we had washed hands after a messy activity only 30 mins before lunch and was told that wasn't good enough. I have since bought a Kiddiwash!

It's an American thing that assumes all settings/homes are as big as they are over there and can accommodate millions of toys and child sized furniture which, of course, most of us can't. To get a good score in one section you have to have something like 6 different types of blocks and that doesn't include duplo type ones. Check your books for ripped pages or ones that are scribbled on and hide them!

I am sounding very negative but I don't mean to be! It is a useful tool and it did help me to reflect on my practice and environment. You should get a book when you have your inspection which tells you how to improve your score.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

they should give you the booklet hon which shows the areas they'll be looking at scoring you on.

It's a tough process, much more in depth than ofsted (without the focus on paperwork) but you don't need to share with anyone you don't want to as its unofficial and I thought it was a really great reflection tool.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

aug 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good in june
    Post Thanks / Like

Default FCCERS

Thank you, one of the little ones mum has just informed me they wont be here on the day as Grannys down on holiday so just be the 14 month old which should make it easyer I hope.