Help! Long lost GCSE certificates.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    In training
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! Long lost GCSE certificates.

Hello All,

I'm new to childminding and in the process of registering. I'm in Hampshire in a high need area and read through all the briefing notes today. As I'm in a high need area my briefing will be a one to one. Anyway, I noticed on the form that certificates for my mathes and English GCSE are required to show I have C's or above. I've hunted high and low and they are long gone, I've not seen them since I moved out of my family home 12 years ago! I think they more than likely ended up on a bonfire after I left. I can find and have my Level 3 GNVQ certificate and my Marketing Certificate which was awarded as a level B/C but nothing else. My school don't keep records past 10 years (it was 16 years ago) and they told me the examining board went away shortly after the year I took my GCSE's.

Will this be a problem? Nobody has ever asked me for them in my life! In my previous career I was head of marketing for a huge well known company for 5 years with massive millions of pounds budgets and huge presentations....I can't believe I'm worried about my GCSE results tonight! I really don't want to have to do the maths and English course, how dull! I'm perusing this career change to move away from the boring desk job life I had.

Thank you for reading.

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a telephone number on the form for you to ring and ask about the certificates, they may be able to tell you how ot go about
    getting copies, it's a good job i haven't got to have mine i left school 35 years ago

hope you get sorted
    Cath

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually you have a very good point!
    How DO you track these things down?

My DO - when badgering me re doing a Level 3 that I really don't want to do, said that if I couldn't prove my qualifications (9 O levels and 7 A levels, when Dinosaurs still roamed the Earth) then there was a possibility under the new shake up that I may not be allowed to stay registered.

1st Husband made a huge bonfire of all my possessions when I left him - 38 years ago, inc my certificates and my school closed down in the 1970's and i have no idea how I'd get new copies?
    Any thoughts on this one?

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you the examining board was? Sometimes you can get copies, someone else I know did, she googled the exam board and somehow found put how to get copies.
    Or do you have a higher level qualification which you needed Maths and English o level to do, another friend was in this predicamant but because she had an nneb which you needed Maths and English to do, this was taken as proof she had passed them and was allowed on the degree course.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i had to get a copy of mine. i took my o'levels in wales and got in touch with a compnay that sourced a copy statement of my results. cost me 30 quid though. have a google
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as doing anything new they disregard any Maths or English qualification taken longer than 3 years ago anyway and if you do the new Level 3 Diploma you have to do the Math and English Functional Skills tests anyway. I had all this earlier this year I took 'O' levels and when to school on a dinosaur according to my dd

I took the Excel Functional Skills tests in January, the only 'revision' I did was what we did as part of the course on our study days and a few exercises on the company web site which dd helped with but we nearly wet ourselves laughing!! I passed both with no problem and I didn't pass 'O' Level Maths

I must say in my college life and work I far exceeded 'A' level Maths in the end but that was in the 70s so a long time ago.

As for not being allowed to stay registered if we can't find our 'O' Level Certificates (the exam board I sat mine with disappeared into the ether years ago) may I say 'What a load of tosh!'. That is similar to saying all cms must have a Level 3 by 2010 and then 2012 and now...... never. Because the simple fact is they could never inforce it because if they tried to they would find too many existing cms with not a clue as to where such certs are never mind if they even had them in the first place! If they de registered them they would have such a lack of childcare places it wouldn't work. They are already panicking because they haven't got enough places to accommodate free 2 year old places from next Sept. We have all had a card informing us that our LA has reduced the requirements yet again so it is easier to become Accredited !!!

7. Likes CH1957 liked this post
    jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice Guys, I appreciate it.

I posted on a different occasion that although I greatly admire people who take their various diplomas, etc., it's just not for me, and that's still the case.