Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Safeguarding

Registered Childminder since
    July 20
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Safeguarding

Hiya can anyone give me advice please,I am coming up to 3years for my safeguarding and need to do a refresher level 2 can I do a course online rather than attending my local authority to complete it and has anyone done this and been approved by ofsted I'm getting mixed reviews thank you

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sonias View Post
    Hiya can anyone give me advice please,I am coming up to 3years for my safeguarding and need to do a refresher level 2 can I do a course online rather than attending my local authority to complete it and has anyone done this and been approved by ofsted I'm getting mixed reviews thank you
    Inspecting safeguarding in the early years - a reminder of the guidance and some commonly asked questions | Ofsted - developments in education inspection
    The advantage of the LA course is that is is tailor made to your local requirements. An online national course will be generic so will need your own research into local proceedures, contact numbers etc. It is fine to do so, just document what you are doing to keep yourself and any assistants up to date with local proceedural changes etc.

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Moggy over knowing the local procedures. I was asked during my inspection if I knew the name of our local LADO- I didn't off the top of my head but I knew where they were based had a link to the LA procedures and contacts saved on my desktop. I also have a contact sheet printed out and stuck in the front of my main work folder with the local procedures and phone numbers.

I did my online course either through MM or childcare.co.uk. This was fine with ofsted, I did a level 3 I think.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ironically, one of the first cuts our Toryscum LA made was to make us do generic online refreshers.

I now do the online courses from childcare.co.uk. Same content, but without having to pay the LA for the privilege. I then phone my LSCB to ask if any local procedures have changed. They always seem a bit confused that I called.

Austerity kills.

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the refresher courses online, our area sends out a safeguarding update by email every now and then, or as already suggested you can contact them yourself if yours don't do this. And I also keep a separate safeguarding folder which has my policy, concerns forms, relevant leaflets etc (all unused so far thank goodness!) and the up to date list of contacts. Which in itself is a pain as our lot seem to have a personnel change every other month!