Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Toddler group RA

The toddler group I attend with DD is very hazardous now I actually come to think of it whilst trying to do my risk assessment

Things like - the front door is always unlocked (although DD can't reach handle yet) so potentially children/adults can be walking in and out, the door to the kitchen is always open (although I do close it myself sometimes), the doors to the toilets are left open (found DD with her face in the toilet once ) they have one socket cover in the whole building - all the other sockets are just left bare. Children constantly trying to climb chairs, going underneath tables and chairs, banging their heads etc.

What would I put for "controlling the risk"? That I run around like a headless chicken to keep them in sight? (which is what I do with DD at the moment lol), should I ask the lady that runs the group to get some socket covers etc?

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand your concerns as some of these factors are prevalent at lots of places that we take children to. As someone who runs a toddler group myself I am always happy to receive information about what others view as possible concerns and so I wouldd approach the organiser about this. However, we also need to bear in mind that some of the risks (tables, chairs, doors etc) are things that will always pose a risk and the only thing you can do is be attentive and teach the children about these risks as they grow.

With regard to the socket covers - if you google "fatally flawed" you will see a very interesting article about socket covers and the fact that they are actually more of a risk than leaving the socket bare. All sockets in the UK must carry a saftey rating which means that the use of covers is not needed. I don't use them and have included the information about fatally flawed in my policies.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by *Katrina* View Post

What would I put for "controlling the risk"? That I run around like a headless chicken to keep them in sight?
    I use the words "close supervision" but it amounts to the same thing!

I'd have a word with the lady who runs the group - ask for her RA, if she hasn't done one you could suggest looking at the risks together and writing one.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Socket covers aside it sounds like a nightmare, especialy with more than 1 to keep an eye on!
    Socket covers are actually more dangerous potentially than open sockets - there is a factsheet The NON use of Socket Covers Policy/Procedure in free downloads.
    as for the doors to the toilets , entrance and kitchen I would put in my RA ''constant supervision'' , but Id also be hoping to find a different toddler group!
    Last edited by mama2three; 23-03-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are a number of groups locally - one I won't go to because it's simply too dangerous for the children and there's a little one who hits every other child.

You need to take a step back - are you saying it's too dangerous? Should you be speaking to the organiser about proper safeguards? Does it have insurance? Would you be covered if something went wrong?

Hth

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the information on the fatally flawed website, certainly makes an interesting read!!

I will have a word with the organiser when I go next week, I guess it is one of those things where I can "put up" with certain things with my own DD, I know what she is likely to be doing/trying to do with regards to going in the kitchen etc but with mindees its not be worth the risk. I would hope they have insurance as it is a parish run toddler group linked to the church. I think if there is a risk assessment it is probably well outdated - the group is very informal.
    I will perhaps offer to try and help with risk assessments if needed as this is the only group around here for a few miles and I get along with the other mums there so it would be a shame to stop going once I am childminding.