Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 1st contract

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st contract

Hi
    Just wondered if you advise me on how to go about a contract. I have had an enquiry from a parent, she wants 3 hrs a day and wants to pay cash which is fine but every day. However in my policy it's says to pay weekly or monthly.She doesn't seem to want a contract as she says her work hours may change. I'm not to sure how to go about this as I don't want to upset her either.
    And will she need a contract for 3 hrs a day?
    I'm sry for waffling, just not sure what to do!

Thank you

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If I were you, I'd be changing my policy. TBH, I don't have a fees policies as such: I keep it all on the individual contracts. I'd have no problem with someone paying cash daily, but make it absolutely clear: no payment = no childcare, even if I had to turn her away on the doorstep. Sooner that than a mum who gets in a flap over payments and winds up being an arrears problem. However, it's your business, so it's your call - I'm not telling you what to do.

I'd say you need a contract no matter how many hours of care you're providing. You're probably not insured (and possibly not legal???) without one.

I'd be a little cautious about her hours changing, and try to nail it down asap. Obviously, don't go about it in such a way as to upset her, and you do have quite a bit of flexibility if she's your first client. But what suits you now may become a PITA before too long: you'll be hoping to have other children before long, and numbers/ratios to consider. Even at this early stage, you mustn't leave her thinking she can chop and change at will, or she'll want to do it a few months down the line and that may affect your capacity with other lo's. She'll then think you've suddenly become difficult.

Whatever hours you arrange needs to be in a contract. You might need to review and alter the contract from time to time (no need to re-write the whole thing, just both sign and date a 'contractual variation' for the new hours.) If you leave it too vague and open-ended then you do so at your peril.

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't have a problem with cash payments, but I would insist on a contract (I come from a corporate background!). Contracts are there to protect you as well as the parent. If I had someone who didn't want to sign a contract I wouldn't take them on. However, I would draw up a contract specific to the requirements.