Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice needed about when a parents wants to terminate the contract

Something just isn't working right for me.
    Since starting childminding and despite my policy about payment/termination of contract specifically stating that I need any notification of termination of contract IN WRITING, no-one seems to heed this. I've only had two notices given and one has been by email (which I suppose is sort of in writing) and then the last one a couple of weeks ago, another one verbally. The child was going into before/after school care at a local nursery on the following Monday.

What is wrong with people? Am I supposed to stand my ground and insist on termination in writing (and then with one month's notice) or is this too harsh and do I jut cut and run as long as payments are up to date?

I make it clear at initial meetings that I don't accept notice by text and it has to be in writing (sorry, texts are very convenient but rather too easy in my view)
    The annoying thing is, I am trying to present a business-like approach to running my own business and sometimes it just feels like some parents are not at all interested. The last one to finish was almost instantaneous (within a couple of days of parent telling me). Should I have insisted that the child remained in my care for the next month, once payment had been made...somehow I think the parent might have told me where to go had I done this. Stupidly on my part I never got a months deposit from this parent when we signed contracts as her child was in the same class as my daughter at school and initially started a couple of days after school during the summer term. I think I might have had the wool pulled over my eyes on this one and it's put me off caring for the children of people I know as they expect you to go above and beyond.

What sort of experiences have you had with parents giving notice?

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would except an email as "notice in writing" as I can print the email, no different to a letter IMO.

As for verbally, I would just thank them for letting me know and just request they follow it up with a simple letter just confirming their termination as it is part of the T&C's in their contract and by not doing so, they therefore have NOT terminated the contract...

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

If a parent has given notice to me by telling me or text I tend to write it down & get them to sign it. I do insist on 4wks notice (but do always take 5wks deposit that could cover this), I dont insist the child actually attend for those weeks! However I have on one occasion wavered the notice for someone who was in terrible need!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

a parent recently gave me verbal notice so I asked for it in writing and she sent me an e-mail - so I printed off the letter and asked her to sign it - surely it is the signature that matters?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I usually print a letter for parents and ask them to sign it - give them one copy and pop the other in their child's file.

If they want to leave immediately that's fine by me - especially if the relationship has broken down - and I don't ask for the months' notice.

I suppose it's helpful if you have a waiting list or you know you can fill the space easily - otherwise you are reliant on that money coming in. The problem is of course that notice is often given because parents lose their jobs - and then they simply don't have the money to continue paying us.

I hope you sort it out so that everyone is happy xx

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

So is this why we charge a months fees on completion of contract as it acts as a sort of financial deterrant to parents just giving notice and 'running'?

I also need to change all my parents to paying in advance, as with my first few contracts I asked for a months deposit and then billed them at the end of the month.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

if parents give me verbal notice, I follow it up with a letter saying, 'following our conversation, this is to accept your verbal notice given on our contract for care' then i add in all the last dates, final payments etc.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    if parents give me verbal notice, I follow it up with a letter saying, 'following our conversation, this is to accept your verbal notice given on our contract for care' then i add in all the last dates, final payments etc.
    this is what i do. i also mention that they will need to inform tax credits of changes to their childcare needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    This is what I do too.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Post Thanks / Like

We have a form which we complete if parents don't give us written notice. It states when the child's last day will be, what fees will be due and a reminder that it is their repsonsibility to inform tax credits if they are claiming them. We sign get parents to sign and give them a copy!