Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: NOTIFIABLE DISEASES

Quote Originally Posted by childmind04 View Post
    the docs are as bad as ofsted i had a lo off monday and tuesday but because i said i would not have him with conjuntivitis, doc had told mum its not contagious after the first drop has been given
    Doesn't matter what doc says... it's about what is in your policy

Post Thanks / Like

Great thank you

June 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly! You decide what is acceptable to you in advance and give each parent a copy (and have them sign that they recieved it) of your sickness policy.

Take no notice of the disgruntled looks. You probably have all the smellies you can use at Christmas time anyway LOL

feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Notifiable disease

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Thank you for sharing that!

I bet the mum wasn't happy... 5 days from swelling going down is a long time!

Ah well, she'll just have to spend the time realising how hard you work

hi

i was just wondering as not had to do it before what happens when they have a notifiable disease. My daughter has whopping cough diagnosed today and I have to ring ofsted and inform them is this correct.

Thanks
    Catherine

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by balloon View Post
    I've just looked this up and it looks great, although I do already have a copy of the DCMA book this would be good to put in parent packs etc.

One thing I noticed though is that conjunctivitis says no exclusion necessary yet it's highly contagious!* I've just had a little one here with it and even his doc said he should be excluded for 48 hours after antibiotics commenced. The DCMA book says they should be excluded too. What have other people been told?

*Obviously a childminder would be very caeful with personal hygiene but what's to stop another child touching the face when your back is turned for a second...
    The doctor is actually wrong as far a current practice is concerned. It usually clears up its self within 3-4 days and antibiotics should not be used nor drops or eye cream, until after this time, if it hasn't cleared up on its on which it will most often do. You are not supposed to exclude for it and I never have unless of course the child is so ill they can not take part in the normal day. I have never in 18 years ever has a problem with cross infection. You just have to be a bit more careful, no soft toys out, hand and bedding washing and cleaning the toys they child plays with

DickDock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    The doctor is actually wrong as far a current practice is concerned. It usually clears up its self within 3-4 days and antibiotics should not be used nor drops or eye cream, until after this time, if it hasn't cleared up on its on which it will most often do. You are not supposed to exclude for it and I never have unless of course the child is so ill they can not take part in the normal day. I have never in 18 years ever has a problem with cross infection. You just have to be a bit more careful, no soft toys out, hand and bedding washing and cleaning the toys they child plays with
    I didn't think it was a case of 'not supposed to exclude' but because HPA guidance says no exclusionary period it would still come down to what the individual setting chooses to do. Youngest childrens schools don't insist on exclusion for pink eye yet secondary school do.
    Personally I exclude -I don't want conjunctivitis thank you

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbj1609 View Post
    hi

i was just wondering as not had to do it before what happens when they have a notifiable disease. My daughter has whopping cough diagnosed today and I have to ring ofsted and inform them is this correct.

Thanks
    Catherine
    Yes you need to tell Ofsted and you will need to close until she is no longer infectious.

I hope she gets better but the cough may be with her for a very long time.

Sadly we are hearing more of the horrid disease because so many people are not having all the vaccinations.

Here is the list of notifiable diseases from HPA website.

HPA - List of notifiable diseases

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

This is going to sound really thick, but who are DCMA, and this booklet you are talking about it, how do I get a copy or is there a link?

I'm looking for something that supports me in my policy regarding going home when sick etc as I'm getting a fight on my hands with parents :-(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12