Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Toilets at Playgroup

Hi,
    I am new to childminding and have just started going to a playgroup set in a church hall, that itself is only in it's second week. Last week there was only me there with my own child,my 2 minded children, my mum came along and the woman who runs it .
    I am interested to know what everyone does reguarding going to the tolilet! If I need to take one to the toilets to change a nappy (9 months and 13 months and 17 months) so I am not leaving them with anyone else, it would meen putting them in the double buggy, which prob wont fit through the door, and bringing my DS if its him that needs changing. I cant put the buggy up in the toilets because that would meen leaving them whilst I do that !
    HELP !

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to stick to going to chidrens centres for this very reason. The toilets tend to be a lot more child friendly and I'm lucky to have several CC's near me with a good range of sessions on. I do remember having to take 2-3 children to the toilets when I went to a group at a community centre and never did find a way round it. Good luck!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, i think I'm going to need it! This is the only group in my area that fits in time wise with my LOs

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've taken two to the toilets before, but never as many as you, I see your dilemma! Would a travel potty work? Maybe there is a private (ish) area that you could use withthe potty. Obviously you would have to risk assess it.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

well im a naughty minder and would just leave the others with your mum for a few mins. im sorry but its not practical for ofsted to insist that all children should go with you to the toilet.

another way round it would be to take a changing mat and change the child in the corner of the room so you dont have to leave the others.

June 12
    Non childminder member
    I AM a childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank youfor posting this question, if only to put my mind at ease that I'm nor worrying a out silly things. I asked this question the other day and the looks I got made me think I was asking a really daft question!
    I don't think there is a definitive answer to this one as it very much depends on circumstances - facilities available and the children in your care. Despite this - any advice gratefully received!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have thought about doing a nappy change in the corner of the room somewhere private, but the hygiene of it doesnt sit easy with me. I'd still have to go to the toilet to wash my hands !

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by *daisychain* View Post
    I have thought about doing a nappy change in the corner of the room somewhere private, but the hygiene of it doesnt sit easy with me. I'd still have to go to the toilet to wash my hands !
    wipe and gel?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i have permission to leave the children with other responsible adults when a child need to be taken to the toilet/nappy change ... i have 10mth/19mth/25mth! 10mth crawling and pulling to stand EVERYWHERE!

i would say i would leave them with another minder, but i am the only minder at the groups i go to! ( apart from cm groups! ) i have a couple of mums i trust, and 'my' children know. i've just asked one of them to be an emergency contact for me! ( she is a nanny and also used to be a cm )

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

yes I would be inclined to change in the same room in a corner and then use a wipe and antibac gel. You could go one step further and use gloves for nappy change and then you would be doubly sure of hygiene. Or you make sure that they are all clean before you go and keep your fingers crossed that they wait until you leave to fill their nappies
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

June 12
    Non childminder member
    I AM a childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

... but what if it's you that needs the loo?!

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

1st rule of childminding - learn to hold it in lol!
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the advice, I think gloves are the answer

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

trying to think of another solution for you! put 2 in double buggy for your mum to watch (with permission from parents) and take one with you. You will not be far away and within earshot?

Hopefully some other CM will come along, I do the above if needed and leave them with a CM friend or organiser who is also CRB and first aid trained - with permissions
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I experienced this for first time with 2 nappy wearers but I went in at ten and changed both nappies then went to play. obv with 2 its easier! maybe use a carrier n face one baby in towards u? one changing and one on mat on floor at ur feet- then wash everyones hands at end for hygiene- might not be best advice but all i could think of lol

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

is there not a larger disabled toilet room you could use? it's a bit tricky. i would probably not use a playgroup where it made it difficult for toilet/nappy changes.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Do the playgroup have a separate room that could be used for nappy changing which they could put a changing table, mat and bin in?

I wouldnt really like to change a smelly nappy in the corner of the room in case the child starts wriggling and crying and we all know there are times when the contents can go every where

If you talk to the organiser she may be able to put a couple of high chairs in there for the other lo's to sit in whilst you change the other nappy. Ikea sell high chairs for £11 each.

I think it is a requirement to provide adequate changing facilities and the organiser may not have thought about this.

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two one year olds and I have tried taking them both with me into the disabled toilet at the church group. Well one of them has a real thing for toilets and will lift up the lid and stick her hand in while the other goes straight for the toilet brush . They are at the age where they don't listen very well and if one is on the changing table I can't very well dart across the room to stop the other one from touching things. Now I have started to just take one in at a time and ask a friend to keep an eye on the other. It is only for a few minutes and I have known the friend for a long time and trust her. I don't have permission from the parents for this. Who knows what Ofsted would say if they knew!

moogster1a Guest

I always ask one of the other adults there to keep an eye on the other 2 while I nip to the loo with the third. I would be very surprised if said other adult decided to kidnap/ rape / assault the 2 children, whether CRB'd or not. ( even if she did, I'd be back in 3 mins!)

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Have a look at my safeguarding issue post. As we have been told that you cannot leave Lo with other minders or CC staff or NCMA representatives even at minding groups.