Parents don't want obs
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parents don't want obs

The only eyfs child I have is a 1 yo and his parents have said they don't want me to do observations. Should I have something in writing from them?

They have given me a notebook where we record 'wow' moments and things we have done, his reactions etc and don't mind me taking the odd photo for them to have only.

I'm confused as to what Mrs O will want to see as regards planning and linking to areas of development for him as the only record is the contact book. I can verbally tell Mrs O what we have done and where I think it is linked.

I have a large diary where I put planning for all children, activities, trips, themes, events etc.

Will this be enough?

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked this at my pre reg meeting as an 'hypothetical' situation and our NCMA course leader actually said " You have to tell them it is a requirement" and that was that....

So I clarified with her that the parental wishes would not come into it and she said that it is a requirement for Childminders to do the EYFS, obs an all for all Early Years children.

Maybe you could check with Ofsted and your DO for clarification?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it depends on how you classify 'observations' and what parents think you mean by them.

If an observation means sitting watching a child and writing down everything they say and do then most parents would not be in favour.

However if an observation is noting the child's interests, learning styles, likes, dislikes etc so that you can plan more exciting activities ready for the next time they visit then most parents would be fine with that.

Hth

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lfishwick View Post
    I asked this at my pre reg meeting as an 'hypothetical' situation and our NCMA course leader actually said " You have to tell them it is a requirement" and that was that....

So I clarified with her that the parental wishes would not come into it and she said that it is a requirement for Childminders to do the EYFS, obs an all for all Early Years children.

Maybe you could check with Ofsted and your DO for clarification?
    The parents don't want me to have that sort of record and photos for their child. Can I cover this better in their notebook? They want the notebook to go in his 'treasure chest' for him to look back on when he is older.

jul 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbonnet View Post
    They have given me a notebook where we record 'wow' moments and things we have done, his reactions etc and don't mind me taking the odd photo for them to have only.

?
    To me this would cover observations and prove that you follow the EYFS anyway? Along side adhering to parents wishes regarding their child.

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbonnet View Post
    The parents don't want me to have that sort of record and photos for their child. Can I cover this better in their notebook? They want the notebook to go in his 'treasure chest' for him to look back on when he is older.
    I guess if you are linking it then it will be acceptable Ofsted- but will you have copies of the what you put in the notebook ( or will you keep it?) otherwise how would you show that you are doing this?.

I honestly don't know tbh, it's just I thought when I asked the question that there would be parents that just want their child to be cared for, happy etc and not be observed, photographed, assessed etc .... and what I wrote before is the response I received.

I would check with Ofsted/DO if you can..

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only had him for 6 weeks anyway so we're not long out of the 'getting to know you' period!