Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Emergency backup procedure

Hi Everyone

I am putting in place my emergency back up procedure. I was informed by someone from the NCA that the person I choose does not need to be a registered childminder.

On searching the forum however most info suggests a registered childminder for this.

Ofsted due anytime so need to get organised.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is no legal requirement for your emergency back up person to be a registered childminder.

just make sure whoever it is knows the children and is briefed on how to contact their parents in an emergency situation.

Hth

oct 96
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband is my back up as the children all know him.My mindees parents are happy knowing that their children would be left with him in an emergency rather than someone who the children only see from time to time. I grill him on a regular basis on what to do in an emergency.

Cupcake22

nov 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies, just feel there is so much to organise before Ofsted come.

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone,

due my inspection this week and just loooking for info re: emergency plan and backup cover. I have my policy and procedure in place and my Husband as my backup to contact in an emergency and he would contact the parents etc I was told when I spoke to ofsted on the phone a few months back that my backup would have to be paediatric first aid trained for them to be left with the children.

Now my hub has been CRB checked but not the paediatric first aid bit, Im planning to send him for a course on that anyway, but I am not friends with anyone that is a childminder and it is quite difficult to just 'find' people that have been both CRB checked and paediatric 1st aid trained and someone you trust!!!!

anyone else had ofsted comment on this at inspection re the first aid bit?

surely the backup is to sort out the parents coming to collect the children and would only be for a very short period of time. It would be very unfortunate if there were to be another accident in the time it took for a parent to collect, but surely we can not cover every eventuality....the list of scenarios would be endless!!

just dont want to get caught out if this is the case and my planned back up is null and void!!!

Sara

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

my husband is my emergency back up and when i spoke to ofted they said he only needed 1st aid if he was to become my assistant but in the case of emergency he cud be left with children until parents arrived. or anyone suitable could be left with tem in case of emergency's...
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

oh thats ok then, was worrying thinking I might get marked down for not having a back up that was first aid trained.

he wants to do the course for his own interest with our children anyway, so still might send him along!!

I dont see the point of having other childminders as back up as I know if I was one for someone else, I am full every day for under 5's and walk everywhere so would not really be any use, and I guess this is the same for most minders that have lots of children with them.

you ideally need a child free person that can come at a moments notice or can contact beveryone for you without having to be concerned about other children in their care at the time!

hubby can stay on my list then!

thanks for the reply

I think everything is in place now, ready for the inspector at some point this week

Sara