Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SEF do I or dont I???

this might seem like a silly question but do I need to do a SEF i am not registered on the early years register just the compulsary and the voluntary if i do where do i get the form to do it because i can only find ones that say early years on them

feb 11
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the compulsery reg included the EY?

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

honestly I am not sure but I'll bump this up for you.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are registered on the early years register (Eyfs) to care for children from birth to 5 then yes you should consider doing your SEF...

Or showing some way of evidencing your professional development and reflection

Nov 10
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not registered for EYFS children, but i do keep records of activities that have been done as a whole by the children and also keep records of activities and suggestions the children have requested. (my youngest is 6yrs and my olders is 10yrs) Will this be enough its just i have heared that a couple of the other childminders near me are due visits soon and with me being newley registered wanted to be on the ball just in case

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Self reflection is so important to Ofsted at the moment.

Not just a list of activities, but how they benefited the children and what you might do differently next time to make them more fun / accessible / challenging etc.

Also for older children showing how you have involved them in planning activities.

So for St David's Day today we talked about Wales, read the story of St David together, looked at the flag (I have a child who likes flags)...

Then I asked the children what they wanted to do...

1 was into making daffodils, another asked to decorate a flag and wave it like she saw them doing on the TV for the new princess... etc.

I documented that as it all shows how I listen to the children and how they are involved in deciding their own learning outcomes.

I am not sure how you will be graded if you are not on the Eyfs register because the whole grading process is for the younger age group.

Have Ofsted said what will happen?

Penny1959 Guest

The Ofsted SEF is not compulsory for anyone - but as far as I know everyone has to show that they do some form of self evaluation and as Sarah says it is about what you do, why you do it, how the children benefit, how you involve the children, any changes you made to meet individual childrens needs / interests.

This can be as in depth as you wish or just a weekly / monthly evaluation noting the points above.

Personally I do a weekly evalation for my setting - saying how week went, any changes and why, any resources brought / borrowed and why, any future ideas / plans.
    Also record in each child's LJ individual record of what that child did / next step plans (which in my view is part of self evaluation).

Penny

Nov 10
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies it has helped a lot

apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering this myself, so thanks for the info