Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default leaving mindees in an emergency?

I'm a bit confused ( just for a change- ha ha!) about emergency cover, as in if I have to leave for an emergency, say if one of my kids has to go to hospital, who can I put for cover, and what checks do they need?
    Obviously if something like this happened I would get the parents to collect asap but in the meantime I was thinking of asking my friend who lives closeby- she already has CRB checks for school and youth club, would I need to get her done again, also if I ask my mum, and then my dad comes with her do they both need to be CRB'd.
    I don't know any other c/m's nearby, and anyway if they were full they wouldn't be able to take over my lot would they?
    Sorry for rambling on, late at night, etc,etc,! What do you all do?

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: leaving mindees in an emergency?

I have a friend I use too. She is crb checked and I have introduced her to all my mums. They were all fine (all the older kids mums knew her from school anyway). My inspector asked me about it at my inspection the other week and I showed her my permissions signed that the parents were happy after meeting her, that she would be there in any emergency. She has a key to my house and knows were my emergency phone numbers are. All my cm friends would be over their numbers if they had to take mine on.
    Annie x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use a friend who is also a mum who lives locally. She's not had a CRB check but most of the parents know her (she's nanna to one of my little ones) and more importantly the children know her. She's always in (a bonus!) and she has a sealed envelope with my emergency contact numbers in 'just in case'.

Ofsted were fine with this

Teresa Guest

i use my eldest daughter and partner, my daughter lives with us and the children know her just as well as they know me, and all the mums meet her for the first time on signing of contracts permission forms ect. they all so often see her interacting with the children at pick up time.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my daughter who is registered also my other daughter and my hubby

Angel xx

Post Thanks / Like

I'm lucky as i have two childminders who would act for me in an emergency so far it has always been OK and never meant we would be over our numbers

miffy xx

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

My Inspector and i talked about this alot. My husband is also registered so he is my first port of call. Unfortunately he works away sometimes so is not always around. She said that in an absolute emergency (not like going to get my legs waxed or something) that CSSIW would prefer I left them with another minder who the children know(even if it takes them over numbers) than leave them with some bod off the street (obviously I wouldn't do that but you know what I mean). All my parents are able to get here quickly and if not they have to have an alternative collecter who is.

I know OFSTED work in very mysterious ways so this is just my experience

amanda xx

Pipsqueak Guest

Cupboard under the stairs serves pretty well or roping them altogether and tying to nearest lampost! (joking ) lol

I have a couple of minders known to the kids I could call on, my hubby and my neighbour who is crb checked and known well to the children

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I have my husband (who is crb checked), which I think is good because all the children know him. He always has his mobile so I can reach him.

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 different emergency contacts.

One is Mandy (Nannan) and the other two are close friends.

Obviously my first point of call would be Mandy but if she was full she could not take them as it would put her over her numbers hence the reason I also picked a couple of friends so that I knew that it wouldn't be a problem.

I am glad to say that in the 10 years I have been minding I have never had to call upon any of them
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankfully I've never had to do this either, but surely in an emergency it wouldn't be a problem for another minder to be over her numbers 'till a parent could get back, would it ?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    Thankfully I've never had to do this either, but surely in an emergency it wouldn't be a problem for another minder to be over her numbers 'till a parent could get back, would it ?
    YAY! Somebody else's turn to email Ofsted with a question!

enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Just one experience I had lately, if you remember when Amber had to go to A&E when she cut her eye.

I was at the school so my neighbour/minder who the kids know could take one of the mindees but I was still left with 2, the school very kindly offered to take the 2 boys to after school club, again meaning they went over their ratio but I needed to be with Amber! I rang mum and the school rang mum, she said "do you need me to come and get the boys then?" I understand that she was at work and its difficult but I had no choice, she said she would arrange for dad to go and collect....brilliant!! the next day I found out that he didnt collect them til he'd finished work, and got there at 5.35! 2 hours 20 mins after I phoned her. the little girl that my friend took, wasnt collected til 6pm without even a thank you!!!

So my advice have lots of emergency contacts, and work down the list, I thought as both these parents work only 10-20 mins drive away they'd be available.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnev707 View Post
    YAY! Somebody else's turn to email Ofsted with a question!

enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

Doh! me and my big mouth Shall I e-mail them ten times and see if they come up with ten different answers ?

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Doh! me and my big mouth Shall I e-mail them ten times and see if they come up with ten different answers ?
    I am sure you will!! Luckily I keep the same Inspector so she has answered this question already for me

amanda xx

JUNE 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Luckly i have not been in this situation when i have had mindees but i would rely on my partner who works very close to home and the parents know

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Shall I e-mail them ten times and see if they come up with ten different answers ?
    Excellent idea!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been told that in an emergency, another minder can take children over her numbers but should ring OFSTED immediately to let them know what is happening. I have several back-up childminders but have never needed them for emergency care, thank goodness and knock on wood! The last thing you need in a true emrgency is trying to figure out ratios and where to send everyone. I've also been told that if there are no childminders available, you can leave children with a responsible neighbour as long as you ring OFSTED soon as possible afterwards and let them know about it.
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all your replies guys!
    Hopefully from what you all say I'll be alright with my plans, and just hope I never have to use them!

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told on my previous inspection that I could not put another minder over her numbers.

This was done in July 2003 so they may have changed their guidelines since then.

would be interested to see what they say!
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast