Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Help - Medication Permissions from Parents

Hello

I am a little confused with how to get prior written permission to be able to administer medication to a child! I got picked up for it on my recent OFSTED inspection, and still didn't feel like I knew what I was meant to do after they had left (yes, they - I was being judged by 2 of them and I have only been registered for 5 months. My assessor was being assessed!!).

I had verbal agreement to give Calpol one time for teething, and got the parent to sign the record when they picked the child up that day but was told that wasn't good enough. How would I have obtained prior written authorisation if it had happened during the day, and how can anyone tell from the forms as to whether it was signed before or after the event??? Am I being really thick here?

Some advice would be good, as I need to action point this one and want to be really clear in my head that what I am doing is correct.

Thanks

Nat

aly Guest

Default Re: Help - Medication Permissions from Parents

I have parentel permission forms for certain things and keep them in their file...you can get copies from the bromley site and then adapt to your setting.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

are you using the ncma forms? there is no space at the top for a parent signature prior to giving the medication so i write in ' permission gained' and the parent initials it. then signs at the bottom at the end of the day to say they are aware of the doses you have given , timings etc.
    Last edited by mama2three; 12-03-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kath, that makes sense. But what about if it happens later in the day when parent is not around. Do you call them and seek permission, make a note of this and then get them to sign to it??

Nat

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i would write in at the top 'permission gained by email' then initial it , and also get parent to initial it. parents usually have access to a computer at work , if not a text , then at least you have written/timed/dated evidence.
    But if they are poorly enough to need medication then i would consider whether they should be with me. something like teething or getting over a cold then parents are aware when they drop off in the morning so can do paperwork then. Sudden onset illness id be tempted to get mum to collect!

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    i would write in at the top 'permission gained by email' then initial it , and also get parent to initial it. parents usually have access to a computer at work , if not a text , then at least you have written/timed/dated evidence.
    But if they are poorly enough to need medication then i would consider whether they should be with me. something like teething or getting over a cold then parents are aware when they drop off in the morning so can do paperwork then. Sudden onset illness id be tempted to get mum to collect!
    Thanks, Kath!