Problem regarding mindee and nut allergys.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Problem regarding mindee and nut allergys.

Hi

I currently mind a 10yr old boy and a 5yr old girl two days a week. The girl has possibe allergies to nuts and anything associated with production lines that process nuts so I have to be 100% carefull what she has to eat. She has medication which I have asked the parent for countless times and she always promises to bring it, but never does.

Trio paid a visit some months ago and I asked them about the situation and they informed me I had to get the medication and also write a letter stating that she needs it here. The problem is what do I say in a letter?

Please help

Sue.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Problem regarding mindee and nut allergys.

I have put together a care plan for a child with severe allergies.

It is very simple... 2 columns...

1. The risks - eg the things the child must not do or eat, what might happen, when meds might be needed, how meds need to be stored etc.

2. What I will do to support the child - checking labels, avoiding risky food, keeping medication within easy reach, taking meds on outings, risk assessing storage of medication etc.

I have also put a copy of my training in with the care plan, so parents are reassured that I am trained to help their child in an emergency - this is a requirement from Ofsted as well.

The parent has then signed the care plan.

Hth

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds brilliant Sarah and so simple - will bear it in mind should I ever need to do one!

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak Guest

Dear xxxx

in response to the information you have supplied regarding xxxx allergy to nuts and the subsequent need for medication, i hereby formally request that you supply me with the appropriate medication and training to adminster.
    I will have paperwork for you to complete so please allow enough time when dropping off xxxx.

I regret to inform you, that if the medication is not delivered to me for the next session of attendance, I will be forced to refuse care until I receive the medication.

Yours
    xxx

I am sorry - if this parent is so bl8ody lax about her childs health care then I would be seriously questioning if I wanted to continue with this contract.
    You MUST have this medication, you MUST have the training to adminster, you MUST have the appropriate paperwork in place.

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I cant thank you guys enougth! I have made it clear in my policies about some of this to her but she just doesnt seem to be that bothered about it.

I shall take on board the info you have given me and get this letter done asap before the next session.

Many thanx, sue

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i currently mind the kids from the same family who have had nut allergies and 2 had egg allergies
    the oldest who was most seere was prescribed with a epi pen mum asked for 2 at the hospital one went in his bag to school and then mine and the other stayed at home thankfully he was tested at hospital 4 weeks ago (fed peanut butter ) and it looks like he has outgrown it the other 2 have piriton mum leaves me a full bottle in case of emergency's
    i would have refused to take the kids if she hadnt given me the medication it is a risk too far sorry

Apr 93
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't understand why she has not given you the medication required for such a serious medical condition. Two of my daughter's have a nut allergy and I could not send them anywhere without their epipen and piriton and my telephone numbers. We have made what we call our "medical bag" - its only a small bag but is permanently by the front door and it goes everywhere with us. Good luck!!

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a child with severe allergies and the ncma said i need to have training for epipen and not look after him until proper equipment ,medicine was given as your not insured

also advised not to feed him anything that didnt come from home and keep a food diary of all the things she sent from home to be sure you are not liable for anything
    One life live it

TheBTeam Guest

I had to turn down care of a child with nut allergies because I could not get epipen training, the parents gp, health visitor and allergy nurse refused to train me, so did my doctor.

I had the child for a couple of sessions and he bought antihistamine medicine with him, but it turned out when the mum was telling me what she had been taught and she queried her teaching with a paramedic, she had been given the wrong information about things like whether it was possible to overdose/or give to early etc!

The poor mum was terrified to trust anybody after finding out how badly she had been misinformed and I said i was not prepared to take on that kind of risk!

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have drafted a letter ready for the next session. The mindee needs Piriton which I have asked for countless times and I am always promised it will be brought to me, ive lost count how many times I have asked. The brother has let it slip they have none so I dont know what would happen if she had an allergic reaction at her home so its possible shes growing out of it but I havent been informed. Also that means she never takes it to school with her.
    Trio informed me to write down every time I have asked and to get the parent to sign it.

I also write down in her day diary what she has to eat and the mum never reads it. All my other mindee's parents are brilliant, they ask countless questions, always give feedback and read the diarys and all my paperwork etc about policies and basically treat me with respect. If I dont have the piriton by next week I wont be able to feed her anymore and if the contract has to be closed then so be it. I find it hard enougth to contact her anyway and other parents at the school seem to know more than I do sometimes which isnt funny. I dont want anything bad to happen with my mindee as sods law would mean I would carry the can for it.

EDIT: I forgot to add i do have training with epipens and pirton.
    Last edited by Sue1980; 25-08-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont blame you

i dreaded going anywhere or him picking anything up from someone else, the worse thing was i had a taste test session and i gave him this fruit he was allergic to and he was fine but the next time he had it at home he nearly died hence epipen thank god i didnt give it him the second time

it is alot of responsibility for you but as you are trained anyway you could buy it and get her to sign a major form saying you can use the piriton in an emergency, if you didnt want to loose this child
    One life live it

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a child with a nut allergy and had to refuse to have him when his mum forgot the epi pen. She was very understanding though and I think that if they are sensible they will respect you for this, as you are only thinking of the child.

Sarah x

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

just to let you know mum give me mindees pirtion on monday we did the child care plan and signed it thank for all the help.
    sue