Children's Right Policy

Threaded View

Registered Childminder since
    July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Children's Right Policy

I went to a meeting re childrens rights earlier this week and was given a policy. I thought you might like to see it

Children’s Rights Policy

For promoting Children’s Rights, consultation, negotiation and evaluation in my setting

Statement; Within my setting, I will endeavour to make sure the children in my care and their families will all be treated equally. I will promote Children’s Rights in my setting particularly through consultation, negotiation and evaluation.

I will:
    · Actively listen in a calm, open non-threatening manner to the children and young people in my care. I will note down and use their preferences and choices. These will be re-visited as necessary or on regular occasions.
    · Understand the key role and value of parents and carers; know when to refer them to further sources of information, advice or support.
    · Be aware that some children and young people do not communicate verbally or in the same language as myself. I will need to adapt my style of communication to their needs and abilities.
    · Build open and honest relationships by respecting children, young people, parents and carers and making them feel valued as partners.
    · Inform, involve and help the child or young person to assess different courses of action in various circumstances. I will help them understand the consequences of each and, where appropriate, agree next steps.
    · Share reasons for actions with the child or young person and those caring for them.
    · Explain what has happened or will happen next and check their understanding and where appropriate, their consent to the process.
    · Be aware that the child, young person, parent or carer may not have understood what is being communicated and make steps to discover ways for promoting greater understanding.
    · Be self-aware: know how to demonstrate a commitment to treating all people fairly; be respectful by using active listening and avoiding assumptions.
    · Seek feedback and evaluation from the child or young person in my care as well as those from parents, family and carers. I will use the evaluations to influence and or change my future service.

Signed:

Date:

Also this page was included,

Evaluation with children
    To confirm your work on this subject you should have hard evidence that backs up the good work done.

A policy states what you will do as a childcare provider, but Ofsted and any other inspection bodies you will need evidence of what you have done

To go with the policy (which should be signed and dated by the way, as all policies should be with the next review date) you should have items such as:

· Service evaluation forms from those able to do them; older children and young people, parents and carers.
    · Child preferences notes or documentation of how children or young people in your care make decisions for themselves.
    · Audiotapes of children giving feedback after a trip or activity.
    · Pictures or drawing of favourite food, activities etc. or pictures of what they don’t like.
    · Children’s personal scrapbook.

These are suggestions that you may use or develop within your setting.

It would be nice to be able to show how your evaluations have affected your work with children, to be able to give and ‘audit trail’ of changes to your service development from the information given by ‘your clients’ in evaluation.

We were told to change the wording in the policy to suit our own settings.

Cherry
    Last edited by cherry; 22-05-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    Cherry x