Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to do Adult:Child Ratio on RAs

Not sure how to ask this, but I am just finishing off my RAs.

Obviously I'll do a quick review of them when my first mindees (and any subsequent ones) arrive, but the ratio's seem to depend so much of the child in question, and also the combination that you have .....

How do I go about recording these ... stating each child's name or group certain children together ... I just don't know what is the best way ???

I have three of my own children, 10y, 7y and 1.5y so the ages are already quite broad.

Anyhow, I am quite happy to go to ''the big park'', with say one young mindee (on top of my own children), as I can keep a close eye on the two younger children, and I am happy for my older children to be in the area (and cos they are my own children they don't need to be visually seem all the time), but what happens if the mindee is older (say 7), they could quite easily run off (around the bushes etc) and therefore not always be seen, but I couldn't follow them cos I would be having direct supervision with my own toddler .....

And what happens if you had two mindees (on top of my own children) who stayed close by ... in that case I would be happy to have 1:6, but if one of those liked to run off, then I would have to reduce the ratio to 1:5 or even 1:4.

Urgh, this is just stressing me out.

And do the ratio's apply to all children, or just ones in the EYFS years / compulary register years ????????

Pipsqueak Guest

Default Re: How to do Adult:Child Ratio on RAs

how do you mean ratios - our ratios are in accordance with whats on our certificate (unless you have a variation or work with an assistant) are 1:6 under 8's generally and you will have to look on your insurance certificate for the total number of children - for example mine says it will cover me for 11 children in total so on top of the 6 under 8's I can have I can then have another 5 over 8's - I include my own children in these numbers.

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

you will need to complete a new r/a for each outing and note your numbers if you wish too .. stating 1 in buggy, 2 walkers on riens or 5 walkers in pairs etc

its mainly so you know how many you are taking and you will keep them all safe on that outing.
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

With my RAs I try to make them as uncomplicated as possible. I identify the risk, then say how I would deal with it.

In your example of the park, I would identify the risk as 'children running out of sight' and the solution as 'consider the ages/development of children and adjust ratios accordingly'

I wouldn't include specific numbers.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    With my RAs I try to make them as uncomplicated as possible. I identify the risk, then say how I would deal with it.

In your example of the park, I would identify the risk as 'children running out of sight' and the solution as 'consider the ages/development of children and adjust ratios accordingly'

That sounds an excellent and simple way to do it!
    Pauline x

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    how do you mean ratios - our ratios are in accordance with whats on our certificate (unless you have a variation or work with an assistant) are 1:6 under 8's generally and you will have to look on your insurance certificate for the total number of children - for example mine says it will cover me for 11 children in total so on top of the 6 under 8's I can have I can then have another 5 over 8's - I include my own children in these numbers.
    The ratio's I mean are the ones mentioned in EYFS in relation to your RAs. Anyhow, a walk to school could be an easy journey for me (no roads or anything) so I would be happy to have a 1:6 ratio for this, however a trip to feed the ducks ... well I would probably only be really happy with 1:2, or 1:3 at a push (not into the water though ), and only consider going higher if the children were older, iykwim ?

And to be honest I would never be happy with 11 children. I think I would have a nervous breakdown before we even left the house. I take my hat off to you

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huggableshelly View Post
    you will need to complete a new r/a for each outing and note your numbers if you wish too .. stating 1 in buggy, 2 walkers on riens or 5 walkers in pairs etc

its mainly so you know how many you are taking and you will keep them all safe on that outing.
    Actually, great idea about stating how we are going.

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

On pg 24 of the Statutory Framework for EYFS it states:

Specific legal requirements
    Outings
    Children must be kept safe whilst on outings.
    For each type of outing, providers must carry out a full risk assessment, which includes an assessment of required adult:child ratios. This assessment must take account of the nature of the outing, and consider whther it is appropriate to exceed the normal ratio requirements (...), in accordance with provider's procedures for supervision of children on outings. The assessment must be reviewed before embarking on each specific outing.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't looked at the book, but from what I remember that was more for nurseries etc where their normal ratios may be different when they're on outings.

Even though we have to take ratios into account, it doesn't say that we have to write it in our RAs. The fact that you say you will consider it & will make the necessary adjustments should be enough. I didn't include ratios on any of mine, but the inspector was very impressed with them.