Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Your own Child is ill-What to do?????

I am still in the process of registering and am still trying to get all my policies drawn up. Just wondering if anyone has a policy on what they would do if their own child is sick. Thought about this as my ds has been off school all week with high temp (dr says.....wait for it.........A VIRAL INFECTION!!!!!). Has been 38-39.9 since Sunday Anyway I was wondering what I would do if I had been registered and had mindees coming ?? Would it be up to the parent if they wanted to bring them (and risk getting the same) and if they decided not too (as I think I would) would they still be charged if I had said facility is open and up to them? IYSWIM

Hope someone can help

Jo x x x

Pipsqueak Guest

Default Re: Your own Child is ill-What to do?????

If I thought that its not going to impact to much upon my child having other kids present then I would go ahead and mind (if it was something contagious then of course I wouldn't)

If I or my own are poorly and it means that I can't work then I don't charge.
    I do make it clear from the outset and its in my policies that I will always give as much notice as possible of time of but there may be times such as my childrens illness or mine that makes it impossible for me to give notice that the session will be cancelled.

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if you wouldn't accept their childrn coming with something, you shouldn't be open if your child has it IYSWIM, not least because if their kid then picks it up from yours you're in a sticky situation......

If it's something fairly minor, then I check with parents. Once my sonwas sick in night so couldn't go to school the next daybut perfectly healthy, bubbly, fine - parents said that they were happy for their kids to come in.

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

im lucky as my mum is retired so she has my kids if they are ill have you got no back up to have them for you

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Your own Child is ill-What to do?????

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    If I thought that its not going to impact to much upon my child having other kids present then I would go ahead and mind (if it was something contagious then of course I wouldn't)

I do make it clear from the outset and its in my policies that I will always give as much notice as possible of time of but there may be times such as my childrens illness or mine that makes it impossible for me to give notice that the session will be cancelled.

Thats kind of what I was thinking but I still wonder what would happen if you said you were open and the they decided not to bring child. Would you charge them or not??? Suppose not

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbelle View Post
    im lucky as my mum is retired so she has my kids if they are ill have you got no back up to have them for you
    not really.

mum and dad - willing but not really able (too old)

MIL & husband - able but NOT willing

FIL & wife - willing and able but live a distance away

jo x x x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post

I agree with Pip.

Miffy xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by misst104 View Post
    Thats kind of what I was thinking but I still wonder what would happen if you said you were open and the they decided not to bring child. Would you charge them or not??? Suppose not
    I've never been in this situation - if I'm open parents have always sent their children

Miffy xx

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Pip.

I normally give the parents the choice, but if it was something i would reject their child for then i refuse to take mindees and dont charge.
    Lou xx

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

wel if it's not contagious and parents decide not to bring their children it's their problem : your setting is open, you're available to work = charge!

if you can't work they shouldn't pay.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by misst104 View Post
    if you are open and are saying that you can still accept kids and it is THEIR choice not to send their kid(s) then you charge - they are CHOOSING not to use your service. They may try to lay the guilt trip bit on you that they were giving you some time for your child to get better but don't accept that - your service was on offer,

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

If a parent was given the choice of sending mindee or not because there was another ill child there I wouldn't charge if they didn't send them. Don't we say if a child is ill enough to be off school they shouldn't be in childcare? If the parent sent the child there is a risk the will catch it, I wouldn't charge if they don't want to take the risk.

Pipsqueak Guest

I see whee you are coming from Fizzy but its like my son- ear infection too poorly to be at school but with 48hrs of anti'bs he is picking up. I am fine to accept mindees but I have had one instance where a parent decided not to bring the child because he didn't want his child to "catch" ear infection and also he thought he would give me and my son some "valuable recovery time" - mmmh whatever

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for advice ladies.

x x x jo