Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Integrated review at age 2

Childminders must write a 2 year progress check for EVERY 2 year old in their care.

We do ours at 26 months because we found parents were forgetting to let us know when the HV checks were scheduled and we were at risk of missing them.

In some LAs childminders are now included in a new type of review known as an integrated review.

This is new blog to support colleagues who are asked to take part in the new integrated reviews

The integrated review at age 2 - Independent Childminders

2. Likes JCrakers liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks xxx

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I find this to be one of the hardest things. I give parents leaflets and I tell them verbally about the 2yr check combined with the HV.
    Two parents last year after being asked more than twice to let me know when their HV appointment comes through and both of them didn't tell me.
    I've got two to complete now and it looks like the same is happening. 1 child is now 29m and the other is 27m. 😡
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for updating us. My area is still doing a pilot scheme and so I'm waiting further instructions from that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah, will have a read later.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah, I'm currently doing a 2 year progress check. Mum actually bought the health visitor form for me to look at and was happy for me to tick off what I knew the child could do and make my own notes. I've given it back to her and when she has completed it I've asked if I can take a copy for child's file. I've also given her "what to expect when" to share at the review. Now just my actual check to do and I feel that I've got fully involved in the process. I just hope the feedback from HV is good.

8. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    Thanks Sarah, I'm currently doing a 2 year progress check. Mum actually bought the health visitor form for me to look at and was happy for me to tick off what I knew the child could do and make my own notes. I've given it back to her and when she has completed it I've asked if I can take a copy for child's file. I've also given her "what to expect when" to share at the review. Now just my actual check to do and I feel that I've got fully involved in the process. I just hope the feedback from HV is good.
    I think it will be great when it works well - like your example...

Sadly a lot of colleagues are still struggling to get anything from health visitors but we keep plugging on! xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hertfordshire have done a Pilot last year but have done nothing yet!

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When you say "every"... I thought if the child was attending another setting more hours than your setting then we just had to be "involved" but they had to write it? I have only been in this situation about a year ago and I did what I usually do- termly summary, then in the covering letter I wrote about concerns/ development met and left it with them to write.

I have 3 who turned 2 last week all whom I have given parental questionnaires to ready for me to write 2 year check (none go to other settings). If any had gone to another setting should I still be writing one as well as the other setting?

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh also the 2 year checks are less detail than my usual termly summaries so I don't mind doing them at all, just wondering?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    When you say "every"... I thought if the child was attending another setting more hours than your setting then we just had to be "involved" but they had to write it? I have only been in this situation about a year ago and I did what I usually do- termly summary, then in the covering letter I wrote about concerns/ development met and left it with them to write.

I have 3 who turned 2 last week all whom I have given parental questionnaires to ready for me to write 2 year check (none go to other settings). If any had gone to another setting should I still be writing one as well as the other setting?
    It is a requirement to do a 2 year check for every child between the ages of 2 and 3 - it's stated in the Eyfs.

It's about sharing your knowledge of the child with parents - and getting them involved sharing with you.

You need to be responsible for doing your own - don't rely on someone else to do it properly x

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks sarah. Yes I realised it was a requirement - was thinking it was 1 check for 1 child rather than per setting. Thinking about how much I trust the preschool I pick up from with their usual reviews - you are right, I won't leave it up to them. And doesn't take that long to do one really.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

one day everyone will get the message that the integrated review is a good thing! I would really value a 'standardised' form that we have to fill in. the 'red book' is full of standardised forms, why not just add one for the 2 yr check for providers? !!!

Mindee turned 2 a few weeks ago; knowing that local HV do the 2 year check very close to 2nd birthday, I completed a 2 year assessment. Mindee also attends day nursery one day a week - so I emailed my 'draft' copy for their comments ( having already spoken to mum ). I got an email from day nursery saying 'thank you, but we're doing our own, you can add your comments to our review' ... I replied saying thank you, and you can add your comments to mine as well ( !!! ) ( GRRR, day nursery do share - but all on their terms! they want info from me, but are very slow in return! ) (oh, and mindee does 12+ hours with me, 5 with nursery!)

Annoyingly, I know the HV will barely look at 2 yr check anyway! ( told my last mindee to have 2 yr checks mum that they don't have time for 'all that reading' - mine is very brief and about A5 size in reasonable type! )

rant over!

16. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done quite a few 2 year progress checks, the last two being last September when one of my mindees went off to a new 2 year old provision in the local school and one left me for two days to go to a nursery, staying with me the other two days.

I spent a lot of time on these, sending copies off to their health visitors and the local school and the nursery which the children were involved with. I didn't receive any kind of acknowledgement from any of these establishments and hopefully they've benefitted from my input.

Regarding who writes a 2 year progress check I read that "If a child moves between settings between 24 and 36 months, leaders and managers of the respective settings should agree which provider will complete the check. It will usually be the setting where the child has spent the most time to date".

Then again it's good to do your own thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to a network meeting last night and Nottinghamshire are starting to get the ball rolling. Between now and May all providers should be contacted by a health visitor. Time will tell.

19. Likes BallyH liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    I went to a network meeting last night and Nottinghamshire are starting to get the ball rolling. Between now and May all providers should be contacted by a health visitor. Time will tell.
    Thanks Natlou - but I wont hold my breath!

Post Thanks / Like

Me neither lol! Just to let you know mama2three the network meeting was run by willow. I don't know if you're involved with them but I've joined recently and find them to provide excellent support and training opportunities.

22. Likes mama2three liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

In Wiltshire the integrated check is the hv will do their check as usual (they tend to send a letter to parents inviting them to a group discussion) then if they have any concerns we should do our check reflecting this and it go with child to any referral such as speech therapy, if no concerns we should do our check and keep on file, obviously in both instances doing it with parental input and comments.