childcare gold member public liability insurance?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default childcare gold member public liability insurance?

Hello
    Are any of you using the new childcare gold member insurance for childminder?
    As a gold member I can now get an insurance with them "for free". I don't know if I should cancel morton michel and go with them!
    I don't know if they are good and if it is any different to MM?
    Thanks
    Last edited by v 1461; 10-02-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You'd need to read the small print and compare- I have read that the childcare.co.uk one does not cover the legal process of chasing up non-paying parents. It sounds like it is the minimum to cover EYFS requirements, but you have to read the details to check it covers what you need.

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same predicament. I'm thinking I may "risk it" with the free insurance since the parents I have are really good at paying on time. Though I'd be tempted to get MM back if I signed someone on who didn't seem so reliable! :S

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you offer funded sessions you also need to check that the level of cover is sufficient for your LA.

As far as I know the childcare.co.uk cover is for £2m, but our LA says ours has to be for £5m.

5. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    If you offer funded sessions you also need to check that the level of cover is sufficient for your LA.

As far as I know the childcare.co.uk cover is for £2m, but our LA says ours has to be for £5m.
    Ok thanks, I do take funded children but I didn't know about the £5 m needed.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by v 1461 View Post
    Ok thanks, I do take funded children but I didn't know about the £5 m needed.
    It will say in your LA Terms and Conditions some LAs require more than 5 Million cover.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Also be aware if you have an Assistant on your books.

My husband is mine. I don't pay him (lol!) and he only works with me occasionally because he is employed full time. You have to have Employer's PLI if you have an Assistant even if you don't pay them and the Free PLI does not include this.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As the others have said read the small print.

* The PLI for £2,000,000. My MM covers £5,000,000 and some LAs are requiring £10,000,000 if you offer funded places or if you care for a child with special needs or disabilities.

* It also does not include employers liability so you cannot have an assistant or student/work experience with you even if you do not pay them

* It is just PLI and does not include unpaid fees recovery like Pacey or MM.

OK if you want a very basic PLI & pay for gold membership anyway but the cover could be low for a major claim and non existant for a non paying parent which is what most people use their insurance for.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For gold members who want to use the free insurance there is further advice about debt management - including ensuring you get payment in advance - http://www.childcare.co.uk/information/childminder-plus.

Hth

11. Likes Richard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forgot that gold members already get access to free legal advice from our own employment lawyer.

Most insurance won't cover you for non-paying parents. It usually covers your legal expenses if you were to make a court claim against them to try and recover outstanding fees. It's very easy to file your own claim online anyway at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
    Childcare.co.uk
    The UK's largest childcare website
    www.childcare.co.uk

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing stopping me taking it is that I need £5m cover as I offer funded places.

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible to print out a Certificate with the free insurance, in order to evidence the expiry date?

Post Thanks / Like

The limit of the free PL cover with Childcare.co.uk gold membership has been £5m from 1st April. For more details see www.childcare.co.uk/insurance

The policy doesn't have a certificate with an expiry date as you are covered for as long as you remain a gold member. Ofsted only need to see the policy document and you can see evidence that you have cover by going to www.childcare.co.uk/insurance at anytime.

Thousands of childminders have already switched over to the Childcare.co.uk PL insurance and we plan to add some further benefits to our policy holders in the coming months.

Gold members already receive free legal advice as part of gold membership.
    Childcare.co.uk
    www.childcare.co.uk

16. Likes Pauline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also I should also add that the law states that Employers' Liability Insurance is not required for family businesses that are not limited companies. So if you are NOT a limited company and only employ close family relatives then you shouldn't need Employers' Liability Insurance.

You can read more about this at in this Health & Safety Executive PDF guide: www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse40.pdf

Here is an extract from the relevant section of the Employers' Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969

You need employers’ liability insurance unless you are exempt from the Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act. The following employers are exempt:

family businesses, ie if all of your employees are closely related to you (as husband, wife, civil partner, father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, stepfather, stepmother, son, daughter, grandson, granddaughter, stepson, stepdaughter, brother, sister, half-brother or half-sister). However, this exemption does not apply to family businesses which are incorporated as limited companies;
    Childcare.co.uk
    www.childcare.co.uk