Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Next steps

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Next steps

Hi, I need a little help please, are there a certain amount of next steps for each child that should be wrote down each month only I'm getting mixed messages from other local childminders. Thanks

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No, you do not 'need' to write them down at all!

As long as you know your children, know where they are in their learning, know what you can do to help them move on and can work with parents to do that... then that is fine. You can write it or have it in your head.

Some next steps are small and can be worked on/achieved in hours/days, some are massive and take months... no point trying to count or compare them!

Some people write them down daily/weekly, some monthly and some do it termly... so again, no point trying to compare one person's system with another.

Of course a child has hundreds of things they are starting to do or will try next- some we can predict and most we can never predict- we just think of a few to concentrate on (1, 2... 10 it really does not matter as long as you are happy and can cope with it), maybe the child does them... or maybe not and they go off and do something else amazing instead!

Find what works for you.

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    No, you do not 'need' to write them down at all!

As long as you know your children, know where they are in their learning, know what you can do to help them move on and can work with parents to do that... then that is fine. You can write it or have it in your head.

Some next steps are small and can be worked on/achieved in hours/days, some are massive and take months... no point trying to count or compare them!

Some people write them down daily/weekly, some monthly and some do it termly... so again, no point trying to compare one person's system with another.

Of course a child has hundreds of things they are starting to do or will try next- some we can predict and most we can never predict- we just think of a few to concentrate on (1, 2... 10 it really does not matter as long as you are happy and can cope with it), maybe the child does them... or maybe not and they go off and do something else amazing instead!

Find what works for you.
    Thank you, only I was told Ofsted likes to see 3 a month but sometimes my children have more than that or sometimes less. I am so grateful for your help

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda70 View Post
    Thank you, only I was told Ofsted likes to see 3 a month but sometimes my children have more than that or sometimes less. I am so grateful for your help
    Try not to compare yourself to others. Only you know your children, besides their parents. Like you said, more that 3 some months, less others. Plus one child might achive 4 one month and the same month a different child achieve 1. Just try to show your children moving along each term/half year, whatever you decide. Ofsted like to see progress or attempt at progress.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we are usually working on something from each of the prime areas through the month - we might re-visit it - we might do something else if we spot another area of learning we want to focus on instead ...

It's important to be flexible