Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pet/ cat policy - location of food?

I'm currently reviewing all of my policies and really looking at why I have them. Most of my policies I can relate directly to the eyfs. Can anyone tell me where (eyfs or otherwise) it says pet food needs to be kept out of reach. I can find lots of other minders policies relating to on-line but nothing to say why we need to have a policy relating to it.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't specifically mention it in the EYFS Framework and you don't need to have a policy for it, but if you want one it may come under this bit:

Safety and suitability of premises, environment and
    equipment
    Safety
    3.54.Providers must ensure that their premises, including overall floor space and outdoor
    spaces, are fit for purpose and suitable for the age of children cared for and the
    activities provided on the premises. Providers must comply with requirements of
    health and safety legislation (including fire safety and hygiene requirements).

Following health & safety legislation would lead on to you having regard for this document:

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/defaul...inders0513.pdf

which states:

Pets
    Keep pets away from food, dishes
    and worktops and away from
    children when they are eating

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mouse- I don't want one if I don't need one. I already follow the safer food better business guidelines. I want to change where I have been putting the food bowls and put them back in the lounge/ diner/ playroom. None of my mindees would try and eat the food and they all know the rules about washing hands and not touching the cat while it is eating. I'd like them to help with feeding too.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Some Ofsted inspectors can be picky about having pet food bowls on the floor in areas where children play.

But if you read the Safer Food Better Business pack it does only say about not having pet food about when children are eating. I think you could argue the point with an inspector if you show you follow SFBB and if you have risk assessed it. If they do pick you up on it ask them to show you where it says you have to move the food away. Look through the EYFS for any mention of hygiene and show how you comply with it all with regards to pet food.

5. Likes Lal liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Some Ofsted inspectors can be picky about having pet food bowls on the floor in areas where children play.

But if you read the Safer Food Better Business pack it does only say about not having pet food about when children are eating. I think you could argue the point with an inspector if you show you follow SFBB and if you have risk assessed it. If they do pick you up on it ask them to show you where it says you have to move the food away. Look through the EYFS for any mention of hygiene and show how you comply with it all with regards to pet food.
    Isn't just after the bit about windmills and labelling toy boxes?

7. Likes Mouse, Lal, tulip0803, lisbet liked this post
    Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Isn't just after the bit about windmills and labelling toy boxes?
    Just where I thought I might find it

9. Likes tulip0803 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Thanks Mouse- I don't want one if I don't need one. I already follow the safer food better business guidelines. I want to change where I have been putting the food bowls and put them back in the lounge/ diner/ playroom. None of my mindees would try and eat the food and they all know the rules about washing hands and not touching the cat while it is eating. I'd like them to help with feeding too.
    You put the pet bowls in the playroom? I'd not be happy with that as a parent from a hygiene aspect.

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well its either the kitchen (food prep area), the stairs (trip hazard), bedroom (access for cat) or the living room (lounge, diner & playroom). I've opted for just inside the kitchen.

The cat bowls are cleaned each feed, the cat is vaccinated and wormed, all my mindees have pets and are all beyond the trying to eat pet food stage. All my parents like the fact we have a cat and she's part of the family.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've never had a cat , do they have to have food available all day?
    I feed my dog in the kitchen before and after Lo's arrive and go home and wash the bowl after just like our crockery, when he's eaten, the dish gets washed, put away in the cupboard so it's not around when LO's are here.

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

She has water and biscuits out all day and tends to eat her wet food over a couple of hours. I think its usually for cats to have access to food and water throughout the day.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I've never had a cat , do they have to have food available all day?
    I feed my dog in the kitchen before and after Lo's arrive and go home and wash the bowl after just like our crockery, when he's eaten, the dish gets washed, put away in the cupboard so it's not around when LO's are here.
    Unfortunately cats can't be as well trained as dogs!

This is the usual feeding routine for our cat:

8.00am Comes in after a night out and demands food
    8.05am Has eaten half the food, that means he needs more
    8.10am I turn the bowl round and he's sees the other half, so finishes that off
    8.15am Wants more food, so constantly gets under my feet until I give in and let him have more
    8.45am Goes back outside
    9.00am Comes back in, seems to think he's just come in after a night out and demands more food
    9.10am Realises he's not getting more food, so goes to annoy the kids by sitting in the middle of their games
    9.30am Chase round the playroom until I manage to catch him and either send him back outside, or up to bed.
    10.30am Comes back looking for food
    10.40am Still looking for food
    10.50am Annoys the kids again as he knows it'll get a reaction from me
    11.00am Runs off as I try to catch him again
    11.15am Is getting desperate now as he hasn't eaten for hours and is on the brink of starvation
    11.30am Weak with hunger and close to the end, summons enough energy to annoy the kids once more
    11.35am Miracle recovery when he hears the food bowl - runs at full speed to the kitchen
    And this goes on all day!!!

15. Likes Lal, FloraDora, lisbet liked this post
    Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Unfortunately cats can't be as well trained as dogs!

This is the usual feeding routine for our cat:

8.00am Comes in after a night out and demands food
    8.05am Has eaten half the food, that means he needs more
    8.10am I turn the bowl round and he's sees the other half, so finishes that off
    8.15am Wants more food, so constantly gets under my feet until I give in and let him have more
    8.45am Goes back outside
    9.00am Comes back in, seems to think he's just come in after a night out and demands more food
    9.10am Realises he's not getting more food, so goes to annoy the kids by sitting in the middle of their games
    9.30am Chase round the playroom until I manage to catch him and either send him back outside, or up to bed.
    10.30am Comes back looking for food
    10.40am Still looking for food
    10.50am Annoys the kids again as he knows it'll get a reaction from me
    11.00am Runs off as I try to catch him again
    11.15am Is getting desperate now as he hasn't eaten for hours and is on the brink of starvation
    11.30am Weak with hunger and close to the end, summons enough energy to annoy the kids once more
    11.35am Miracle recovery when he hears the food bowl - runs at full speed to the kitchen
    And this goes on all day!!!
    You forgot the part where they catch their own food, but fail to kill it leaving an alive but injured creature (mouse, bird, vole, frog....) flailing round the living room. Or if they do eat what they catch the mess you have to clear up consisting of left overs and/or cat sick.

17. Likes Mouse, hectors house liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You forgot the part where they catch their own food, but fail to kill it leaving an alive but injured creature (mouse, bird, vole, frog....) flailing round the living room. Or if they do eat what they catch the mess you have to clear up consisting of left overs and/or cat sick.
    I did once catch our cat on his way upstairs with a live frog!

Luckily he is scared of most creatures smaller than him, so we don't usually have a problem. We do have other cats coming into our garden. One of them will catch any mice it finds and carry them away, I assume to it's owner's house! They must love us and our constant supply of mice

19. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my word. Just when I think I am softening and might just get a cute, fluffy kitten I read something which reminds me of the reality.

21. Likes FloraDora, Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Oh my word. Just when I think I am softening and might just get a cute, fluffy kitten I read something which reminds me of the reality.
    Cute fluffy kittens should really come with a warning of what to expect in the future...

...thinking of it, so should children

23. Likes Maza, FloraDora, lisbet liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

my cat food/water is on the landing - a kind of little inset bit so not a trip hazard - and the only children that go up there are those old enough to use toilet unaided - so they leave it alone anyway.

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

And if you're really lucky on the morning of an OU exam they bring you a live Budgerigar.....

26. Likes Maza liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't keep mine out of reach, the cats have access all day to dry cat biscuits and fresh water on a mat in the kitchen, children have free access to the kitchen as it's open plan but never unsupervised, I don't let crawlers or ones that put things in their mouths out of sight so can stop them if they're heading over to eat a handful of cat biscuits!
    Little ones quickly learn it's not to be touched, had a crawler v interested but she only touched a couple of times and quickly learnt after a firm no it was out of bounds, I don't think everything should be out of reach, children have to learn they can't touch everything and my cats live here so should be allowed food and water when they want.
    Ofsted didn't have a prob with that, she had cats of her own though so that may have helped.

28. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And if you're really lucky on the morning of an OU exam they bring you a live Budgerigar.....
    Wow! That was a shock I would say !

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have three cats who have always been around when I'm minding. The children love them and I know the boundaries re stroking and feeding them. The cats make themselves scarce during the day anyway when the kids are around.

There's no need to create extra paperwork for yourself when not needed.

31. Likes Maza liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast